Improve on M-Audio 192
Aug 7, 2006 at 2:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jxb2

100+ Head-Fier
What price range DAC is needed to produce useful improvement compared to simply using DAC in M-Audio card? Any recommendations? Am feeding powered Dynaudio BM5A speakers, and sound is good, but not like my McCormack UPD-1 CJ Edition, which left me poor and looking for moderate price DAC, but only if it is worthwhile. Thanks

Aug 7, 2006 at 11:23 PM Post #2 of 4
Upgrade power cord to your computer PSU first. Its the best price/value ratio improvement. Buy used cables (150-300$). M-audio cards have rather weak bass, so add "bassy" cable.
To add good external DAC (1000$ or more) will cost you much more.

Aug 8, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by Serge44
Upgrade power cord to your computer PSU first. Its the best price/value ratio improvement. Buy used cables (150-300$). M-audio cards have rather weak bass, so add "bassy" cable.
To add good external DAC (1000$ or more) will cost you much more.

You don't need to pay $1000 or more to get a good external DAC...far from it. Instead of spending $150-300 on cables first, I'd suggest the core components be upgraded (source, amp, headphones) before the cables and power conditioners come into play.

Aug 9, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:

A PSU upgrade would make more sense if power is of concern here - maybe the S12-430W from Seasonic.

@OP: How much are you willing to spend, exactly?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back