Impromptu Mini-Meet in Detroit...Featuring the Sennheiser HD800's!
Feb 12, 2009 at 12:57 PM Post #32 of 45
„Bass to give some weight…” Are for example K1000 enough bass equipped or not? According to me are. Are they neutral? Yes and not simultaneously. It depend from amplifier.
According to describes, Sennheiser HD 800 should be similar to K1000. Am I right John, or not? You have Grace 902, which could drive K1000, so you can tell us, I suppose.
(I know this amplifier; very good – dynamic and well sonically done, although I thing the new SPL Phonitor is slightly better.)

Feb 12, 2009 at 1:18 PM Post #33 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John, It's a pity you can't write subjectively, because you've demonstrated a high degree of professionalism and integrity as far as I've seen.

Now if only you had a blog we could read...

X2

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #34 of 45
So are there no more impressions from the mini-meet? Have I missed them somewhere?

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotr Ryka /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John, or not? You have Grace 902, which could drive K1000, so you can tell us, I suppose.

Unfortunately I have not heard the K 1000 and don't have an easy way of getting hold of them - I think best to let someone like Jude answer this one.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:25 PM Post #36 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
John, It's a pity you can't write subjectively, because you've demonstrated a high degree of professionalism and integrity as far as I've seen.

Now if only you had a blog we could read...

Thank you, that's how I always try and behave on forums.

But it's against the rules of Head-Fi and I got told-off when I did it earlier - sorry.

And, sorry, I don't have a personal blog.

But Sennheiser UK is starting one one HERE where I can post.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #37 of 45
Couldn't tell from the pictures I saw, but are they still using the detachable cable?

]I need about 15 ft and it would be nice to just plug in a replacement.

Feb 12, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #38 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For me personally, I don't like hyped headphones; I like them to be open and neutral and give me what is really there - if the recording is crap I, want to hear it's crap - that means that if it is magnificent it will show me it's magnificent...

I have the same tastes for the most part. That's why I settled on the K-1000 and HP-2. The exception is the GS-1000 (which is fine, this hobby is about enjoyment, lest we forget).

So, according to your tastes, you should not like the HD650 which has a bass hump, attenuated highs, and helps bad recordings to not sound so bad.

The GS-1000 and K-1000 doesn't hide any nastiness. But the HD650/600s definitely do.

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Willett /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Getting back to the neutrality point - the Quad electrostatic speakers were renowned for their neutrality and yet they were wonderful to listen to - probably the best set-up I have ever heard was a pair of the original electrostatics in a stacked arrangement (ie: 4 units, one on top of the other each side to really move the air and extend the bass) back in the 1970's. So accuracy and neutrality need not mean a lack of excitement and involvement - but the excitement and involvement will come more from the original performance and how it was recorded rather than how you play it back; and that's how it should be.

Most loudspeakers measure relatively neutral unlike headphones. The listening room is really the key to how they will really sounds unless you plan on listening to them in an anechoic chamber.

I realize some sound or measure more neutral than other, but that is a small piece of the pie.

The best loudspeakers that I've heard were what I believe are the best ever made. The Von Schweikert VR11SEs. I've had that confirmed by some wealthy people that have owned a variety of the most expensive speakers (who put their money where there opinions were) and a couple of members over at audiogon who have been through all of them. I'm certainly not going to get in an argument about it being the definitive "best", but I've heard nothing better, not even close - I will say that
wink.gif
- it disappeared completely and left nothing but the music and upstream component coloration.

My point is I never once even thought of the FR graph when listening to them. It was irrelevant even though they measure flat on paper. Some loudspeakers and headphones can sound sterile and are called more neutral... so I guess my question is, which does the HD800 fall into?

[size=xx-small](can you tell I'm just dying to get mine?
tongue.gif
)
[/size]

Feb 12, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #39 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Raptor drives high-impedance headphones very well, the HD 800 included.

Is it more of a subtle difference between current SQ and what you heard at CES using the DAC1 headphone amp?

Feb 12, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #41 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by robm321 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... so I guess my question is, which does the HD800 fall into?

[size=xx-small](can you tell I'm just dying to get mine?
tongue.gif
)
[/size]

You will just have to wait, listen, and judge for yourself, I'm afraid.

Me, I'm just sitting in my chair and listening to Satie on the HD 800s
tongue.gif

Pity I have to take them back to the office on Monday
frown.gif

Feb 13, 2009 at 3:42 PM Post #42 of 45
Sure would be nice to have some impressions from those familiar with the AKG K1000. Comparing the HD800 against it..
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murugesh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I attended the meet with elrod_tom on that day. Please check out my review

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/sen...review-408938/

** heading over **

Feb 15, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #45 of 45
Oooo, oooo, thanks a bunch for your (as always) great insights and impressions. How about the other guys?

I think we should all pitch in together and buy you a pair just for sharing.....

...when the economy starts to recover a bit....maybe
icon10.gif

And thanks for the pics Jude.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back