Impromptu Detroit Mini-Meet
Apr 25, 2005 at 4:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

elrod-tom

Moderator - Prefers "stereo weirdo" to "audiophile"
Well, we had a confluence of events come together that resulted in a quickly-organized mini meet earlier today. Between Ray Samuels' trip to town to deliver some of his fine amps, and Jude's good fortune to have a variety of gear at his disposal for a short period of time, we felt like we had to get together.
biggrin.gif

I'll post more detailed impressions later, but a few things really stood out:

1) Nightfall's excellent Moth Audio 2A3-driven amp was a very sweet sounding amp indeed!! It even did a nice job driving the AKG K1000!

2) Ray Samuels' Raptor is something really special. I listenend to two different amps, paired with Nightfall's SACD-Mods Sony 555ES and Ray's Meridian 508, and they were both exceptional. It even did a nice job driving the AKG K1000!

3) The Sony Qualia is an interesting set of cans. I like them, but they cost an awful lot of money!! I suspect that they are the sort of cans that really grow on you after a while, as they have a huge soundstage and sound like a cross between the AKG K1000 and K501. Nothing about them really reached out and grabbed me, but like I said, I think that they would grow on me were I to have them for an extended period.

One of the nice things about the meet was that I had the oppportunity to use a number of different cans in my own rig. In the end I determined that my AKG K501's seem to be a better match with my ASL MG-Head DT/OTL-32 than the Sennheiser HD650. However, there were plenty of amps (e.g. Eddie Current HD-25) that seem to be voiced particularly nicely when paired with the HD6650.

The big thing, as usual, was the opportunity to get together with good friends again. Thanks to everyone who showed up with very short notice, it was a great time.
biggrin.gif

Apr 25, 2005 at 5:35 AM Post #2 of 26
This was a great event, and, as ET noted, most importantly, a chance to spend that all too seldom available time with good friends.
Despite the ridiculously unseasonal weather which had dumped no less than 10 inches of snow at my home when I arrived back here tonight, a wonderful time was had by all. I promise more in depth comments on some really interesting gear tomorrow. It's a bit to late to do it justice at the moment.

JC

Team Raptor

Apr 25, 2005 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 26
First of all, thanks to Jude for setting this up and providing pizza and refreshments. This was my smallest meet yet but, as always, was a lot of fun. It was nice to finally meet Porksoda too.

I'm at work now so I'll have to add additional impressions and pictures later. I mostly just want to post my respectful disagreement with Tom about the Qualias.

These are without a doubt the worst headphone I've ever had on my head. That may very well extend into the regions of iPod buds, etc. They are the only piece of audio equipment I've ever heard that completely recharacterizes the sound going through it.

First, they make it sound like you're listening in the shower. Everything is very cavernous and thin sounding. This may be mistaken as an ultra-wide soundstage but is in fact (IMO) nothing more than the horrific acoustical properties of the driver chambers.

Second, there is a complete lack of foundation to the music. I don't think there is actually any chunk of the frequency spectrum missing, but it leaves the impression that there is a significant low-freq roll off starting in the upper bass. Consequently there is no rythm or drive to the music. I even got this impression listening to classical music without significant bass content.

Thirdly, they have the most annoying cord. The silk covering may look nice (as does the whole headphone) but any moving around causes significant microphonics to resonate in the ear chambers. My Silver Dragon does this a little to my 650s but is WAY more tolerable than the Sony case.

And yes, I adjusted them on my head quite a bit trying to find an optimal seal or whatever. I understand that the headphones come in sizes, but if a seal is so important the phones need to be much more adjustable. Pushing them against the sides of my head brings up the bass a touch and makes them slighlty more coherent but still pretty poor in general. And Jude said this pair has at least a couple hundred hours on them already.

Long story short I seriously would not by these headphones even if they were a 1/10th the price. And I'd only consider that price point because they look pretty darn cool.

Apr 26, 2005 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 26
Great pics Jeff! Thanks for posting them.
Looks like it will take until tomorrow before I have time to post my comments about the meet. Just got home from seeing Bruce Springsteen on the opening night of his new solo, acoustic tour at the fabulous Fox Theater here in Detroit. This was thanks to the kindness of a friend that knew I was very upset I was going to miss it and wangled me a suite ticket, no less, from a major corporation he deals with earlier this afternoon.
I'm a huge Bruce fan, and hadnt even realized he was coming to town, or when the tickets went on sale, as it took place during the period of a recent family tragedy that isolated me from the known world for a time.
Really exceptional concert. For any other fans out there its HIGHLY recommended. Seeing him in such a great, smaller concert venue, with its superb acoustics, up close and personal, just the man, his guitar/harmonica, or piano was a great experience I won't forget.

JC

Team Raptor

Apr 26, 2005 at 8:24 AM Post #6 of 26
It's late right now, and it was a long day of work, so I'll post some impressions now, and more later.

First of all, thanks to everyone who made it on such short notice: jefemeister, elrod-tom, chosen1, Porksoda, Nightfall, joe, and, most impressively (because he flew in from Chicago), Ray Samuels.
  1. SHURE E4c earphone. This earphone impressed those who listened to it. chosen1 seemed particularly smitten with it, comparing it to the E5c, but I'll let him post his own impressions. I think the E4c is going to be SHURE's best-selling earphone, with its excellent overall resolution, very nice treble, and a punchiness and verve that neither the Etymotic ER-4S or ER-4P can match. This is an excellent earphone for headphone lovers (in particular, those who are used to listening to full-size headphones).
  2. Moth Audio Si2A3H headphone amp. This is one of Nightfall's amps. This has to be one of the most gorgeous, elegant looking pieces of any type of audio gear I've ever seen. NOTE: Moth Audio is run by the same gentleman who runs Eddie Current (Craig Uthus). The Si2A3H has a beautiful, textured paint job. (I'll post photos later, but the magic of the finish on this amp doesn't come through in photos.) On the front of the chassis, there are actually two little circular glass windows, with a tube visible behind each -- it's a unique touch. The detail work on the exterior of this amp is outstanding. Of course, most importantly, this amp sounds as good as it looks. The 2A3 is one of my favorite tubes, and the Si2A3H makes very fine use of them. From my favorite Sennheiser HD650 to the hard-to-drive AKG K1000, this amp does it all with grace and power. You're a lucky fella, Nightfall.
I'm falling asleep in my chair, so I'll have to continue this later, including photos.

b.gif

Apr 26, 2005 at 12:58 PM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefemeister
Here's some pics:
PICT0794.jpg

Now what in the world is that thing?
confused.gif
Doesn't look a thing like my HD-25. Something new from Craig perhaps?

Apr 26, 2005 at 2:44 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jose Perez
Now what in the world is that thing?
confused.gif
Doesn't look a thing like my HD-25. Something new from Craig perhaps?

I'll have to let someone else chime in on this, but is definitely some form of new product/prototype. The general impression was that it is better than the HD-25 but I personally didn't spend much time with it.

edit: I also understand that it only uses a HD 25 chassis, the insides are significantly unique.

Apr 26, 2005 at 2:47 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
[*] Moth Audio Si2A3H headphone amp. This is one of Nightfall's amps. This has to be one of the most gorgeous, elegant looking pieces of any type of audio gear I've ever seen.

Again, I have to respectfully disagree. To me it looks like a large powder coated rectangle with some tubes sticking out the top. But that's why we're fortunate to live in a world with lots of choices.

Apr 27, 2005 at 8:48 AM Post #13 of 26
Jude,

what about your impressions of the Qualia ???

Best!
Nicola

Apr 27, 2005 at 1:52 PM Post #14 of 26
I really had a great time being there. It was pleasure to meet the faces I knew & the ones for the first time. I enjoyed listening to all the gear out there, with one simple word to describe the gear would be that all offered some thing to enjoy in it's own way, thats gives us all kind of flavors to choose from.
Thanks Jude for your hospitality & care to arrange picking me up & taking me back to the airport also for the food & drinks, your office, by the way, looks great & very well organised.
I was happy to see Nightfall making it to the meet inspite his great loss, hope you had nice time. Elrod tom, always the happy face, nice seeing you again.
Jeffmiester, it was a delight to talk to you my friend, hope you enjoyed the meet. The chosenone & Avin, both wonderfull young men & fun to spend time with & enjoy thier company.
Thank you all for making me feel at home & until we meet again.
Cheers.
Ray Samuels

Apr 27, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #15 of 26
Also, let's hear some impressions of this new Eddie Current posing in the HD25's chassis
580smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back