Impressions with new DAC/Amp, and question about Grado GR10s
Jul 24, 2017 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

His Lorship

New Head-Fier
I have a ifi black label I just got, so I started a free trial on Tidal to sample some lossless audio to test out my gear.

So far, I'm impressed with my Sennheiser PC363D on the ifi black. Great soundstage for gaming, sound is noticeably better than straight from the motherboard. The instruments are clear and separation is excellent. Funny I let someone else try them and when I put on Vivaldi they said it sounded like they were at the orchestra. The bass isn't great on these cans but with the bass boost switch it does give a noticeable improvement for some songs if you are in the mood for it... Can't wait till my HD6xx get here around christmas...

Now the Grado GR10 on the other hand is completely uninspiring. The mids and highs (particularly the mids) are in your face, and I can see why some people say "aggressive" especially when compared to the Sennheiser sound - neutral and laid back (but full) to my ears. The GR10 also has negligible soundstage, which is probably to be expected with this type of device. That's not to say that they are entirely horrible, because I'd say they are very very clear in the midrange, but the overall presentation seems a bit narrow...

Would someone share their thoughts on the Grado GR10? In my opinion, the Sennheiser sound way better, which is kinda sad that a $200 headset is beating a $400 earphone. Am I alone on the Grado's sound being less than impressive? I mean sure, they are a heck of alot better than the flat sound of the iPhone earbuds that come with the phone, but they better be considering the $390 premium. Am I expecting too much from the in ears when compared to over the ear headphones, or maybe they would sound better with another type of DAC and/or Amp? Any suggestions to make the Grados sound better?

I got the Grados for free, so I'm not complaining and they are a fine match for a mobile device, but they certainly aren't taking me to the next level with the ifi black like the over ear headset is.

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:11 AM Post #2 of 2
Update - I spent a bit more time with the Grado, and in fairness a certain spectrum of mid range is quite good. I actually had to check around the room and make sure Van Morrison wasn't sitting in the room with me... Just to make sure. On the other hand certain sounds the voice just sounds removed, like they are in the next room or something.. For example Ray Lemontagne maybe was playing a gig in the neighbors house but I'm not sure which neighbor, because the soundstage doesn't provide much directional accuracy.

I think the Grado may be for a niche group that likes certain types of music, or maybe a great match for certain songs, but I'm left thinking that upgrading to a different DAC/AMP won't make them turn into a different set of earphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back