[Impressions] TrekStor Noontec Zoro Professional
Aug 15, 2012 at 1:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

TStarGermany

New Head-Fier
Well, after Tyll's review at Youtube (LINK), I ordered them and gave them a go after they arrived today.

Look and Feel
Of course there's a lot of plastic involved in assembling these headphones but there are few optical and well worked out highlights as well. You'll find a brushed aluminium emblem on the backside of the ear cups, embedded into the outer side of the pull-out mechanism and at the joints of the folding mechanism as well.
The inner frame's dark grey plastic doesn't look cheap at all, neither do the soft black ear cushions, the dark grey pseudo leather headband or the glossy paint finish.

All in all - well done, good looking, no obvious weakness.

Sound
I'm a little CAL fanboy, so I wanted to see how other praised budget headphones would perform. I have quite a fixed set of "test" songs, no measuring instruments involved.

All by itself, the Noontec Zero doesn't do bad at all - it delivers a good amount of detail without obvious shortcomings or artificial emphasis over the entire spectrum. But compared to the CAL, the Noontec Zero is missing some depth - for my taste, it's sounds very much "in the face" and songs like Rupert Holmes "Escape" (yey, the infamous Pina Colada song :) lose the biggest part of their dynamics. I'm not sure if this is related to the drivers' low impedance of 16 Ohms but others here in the forum can surely say more about such correlations (or causation for that matter).

The positive
The Noontec Zero delivers a tight sound and audibly tighter than the CAL when it comes to frequencies in the kick bass area. I couldn't find anything that sounded "washed out" with these headphones, not synthetic stuff, not classical instruments and voices neither. With my X-FI HD USB DAC, I could easily push the headphone's sensitive drivers to unbearable volumes, so I guess it will be just perfect for low-output mobile devices.

The negative
For one, drum instruments like cymbals and hi-hats, as well as hissing noises do sound quite aggressive, actually so much that I'd say that you couldn't listen to these things at medium levels for too long - at some (early) point, you will feel some sort of "exhaustion".

The other thing is the deep bass. I love wobbling around on my chair when listening to deep DnB bass lines - something the Noontecs just don't deliver - at least not when they're fresh out of the box like mine.
Remembering Tyll's review and his measurements, the volume was very slowly degrading when approaching the deeper frequencies - but in my case, it feels as if they're almost abruptly cut off - I found that to be a bit strange :ß

Oh, one more thing: I couldn't really put my finger on it but when it comes to some synthetic sounds and fine instruments, I have a slight sensation that the last bit of "clarity" is missing... but as I said: I couldn't put my finger on it.

Temporary result
Not bad at all. The Noontec Zero Professionals do lots of things right, but they also do some things wrong. I'm touchy when it comes to harsh treble and I'm quickly disappointed when a headphone doesn't deliver a deep bass worthy of its name. So at the moment, the Noontec Zeros are somewhat uncomfy and unsatisfying to listen to :ß

I will spend the next 24h pushing some high volume pink noise to the phones and if tomorrow I can sense a tendency of change, I will update this report - if not, then not :)

[COLOR=999999]Tested:
TrekStor Noontec Zoro Professional (Amazon) @ Creative X-FI HD USB DAC

My test songs
Arne Domnerus - Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child
Big Bud - Chill
Chris Rea - I Can Hear Your Heartbeat
Dire Straits - Telegraph Road
Esther Ofarim - La Vecina Catina
George Michael - Precious Box
Gil Shaham (Orpheus Chamber Orchestra) - Kreisler Concerto In C-1
Luis Miguel - La ultima noche
Matrix & Futurebound - Coast To Coast
Men at Work - Overkill
Noa & Pat Metheney - Child of Man
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
Rupert Holmes - Escape
Sade - Smooth Operator
Tony Roel Trio - Tango Jalousie[/COLOR]

Aug 16, 2012 at 1:17 AM Post #4 of 10
looking forward to more updates as well. My pair will hopefully be hear by end of the week. I will do some A/B testing with my vmoda M80 and also do some A/B testing between cables. I also will try these against the Sony ZX700 and see how they fair.

Aug 16, 2012 at 5:30 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:
looking forward to more updates as well. My pair will hopefully be hear by end of the week. I will do some A/B testing with my vmoda M80 and also do some A/B testing between cables. I also will try these against the Sony ZX700 and see how they fair.

Looking forward to those comparisons for sure.

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #6 of 10
I did the testing by hysterically switching the headphones' plugs forth and back while listening to particular song sections over and over again...

The most obvious difference between the CAL and the Noontec is this:
I described the Noontec to be "tight" and "in your face" and in an earlier review, I described the CALs as "laid back" and offering a nice "depth".

I'd say these statements are (IMHO) already true for themselves but by comparing them 1 vs 1, the audible difference between them is outstanding.
If a magician could mix both phones' best qualities, that would result in the creation of true miracle (and probably a much higher price tag :D)

Sep 21, 2012 at 11:41 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Well, after Tyll's review at Youtube (LINK), I ordered them and gave them a go after they arrived today.
Look and Feel
Of course there's a lot of plastic involved in assembling these headphones but there are few optical and well worked out highlights as well. You'll find a brushed aluminium emblem on the backside of the ear cups, embedded into the outer side of the pull-out mechanism and at the joints of the folding mechanism as well.
The inner frame's dark grey plastic doesn't look cheap at all, neither do the soft black ear cushions, the dark grey pseudo leather headband or the glossy paint finish.
All in all - well done, good looking, no obvious weakness.
Sound
I'm a little CAL fanboy, so I wanted to see how other praised budget headphones would perform. I have quite a fixed set of "test" songs, no measuring instruments involved.
All by itself, the Noontec Zero doesn't do bad at all - it delivers a good amount of detail without obvious shortcomings or artificial emphasis over the entire spectrum. But compared to the CAL, the Noontec Zero is missing some depth - for my taste, it's sounds very much "in the face" and songs like Rupert Holmes "Escape" (yey, the infamous Pina Colada song
smily_headphones1.gif
lose the biggest part of their dynamics. I'm not sure if this is related to the drivers' low impedance of 16 Ohms but others here in the forum can surely say more about such correlations (or causation for that matter).
The positive
The Noontec Zero delivers a tight sound and audibly tighter than the CAL when it comes to frequencies in the kick bass area. I couldn't find anything that sounded "washed out" with these headphones, not synthetic stuff, not classical instruments and voices neither. With my X-FI HD USB DAC, I could easily push the headphone's sensitive drivers to unbearable volumes, so I guess it will be just perfect for low-output mobile devices.
The negative
For one, drum instruments like cymbals and hi-hats, as well as hissing noises do sound quite aggressive, actually so much that I'd say that you couldn't listen to these things at medium levels for too long - at some (early) point, you will feel some sort of "exhaustion".
The other thing is the deep bass. I love wobbling around on my chair when listening to deep DnB bass lines - something the Noontecs just don't deliver - at least not when they're fresh out of the box like mine.
Remembering Tyll's review and his measurements, the volume was very slowly degrading when approaching the deeper frequencies - but in my case, it feels as if they're almost abruptly cut off - I found that to be a bit strange :ß
Oh, one more thing: I couldn't really put my finger on it but when it comes to some synthetic sounds and fine instruments, I have a slight sensation that the last bit of "clarity" is missing... but as I said: I couldn't put my finger on it.
Temporary result
Not bad at all. The Noontec Zero Professionals do lots of things right, but they also do some things wrong. I'm touchy when it comes to harsh treble and I'm quickly disappointed when a headphone doesn't deliver a deep bass worthy of its name. So at the moment, the Noontec Zeros are somewhat uncomfy and unsatisfying to listen to :ß
I will spend the next 24h pushing some high volume pink noise to the phones and if tomorrow I can sense a tendency of change, I will update this report - if not, then not :)
Tested:
TrekStor Noontec Zoro Professional (Amazon) @ Creative X-FI HD USB DAC
My test songs
Arne Domnerus - Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child
Big Bud - Chill
Chris Rea - I Can Hear Your Heartbeat
Dire Straits - Telegraph Road
Esther Ofarim - La Vecina Catina
George Michael - Precious Box
Gil Shaham (Orpheus Chamber Orchestra) - Kreisler Concerto In C-1
Luis Miguel - La ultima noche
Matrix & Futurebound - Coast To Coast
Men at Work - Overkill
Noa & Pat Metheney - Child of Man
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
Rupert Holmes - Escape
Sade - Smooth Operator
Tony Roel Trio - Tango Jalousie

how do you find the noise isolation on these headphones? i'm really into buying these headphones, but reviews saying its noise isolation is poor especially for commuting, makes me think otherwise. have you found a way to improve its noise isolation? change pads etc,

Sep 21, 2012 at 2:15 PM Post #8 of 10
how do you find the noise isolation on these headphones? i'm really into buying these headphones, but reviews saying its noise isolation is poor especially for commuting, makes me think otherwise. have you found a way to improve its noise isolation? change pads etc,
It was mediocre. And since I rather quickly decided to return them to amazon to get a full refund, I didn't modify anythign on the phones.

Sep 23, 2012 at 12:45 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:
It was mediocre. And since I rather quickly decided to return them to amazon to get a full refund, I didn't modify anythign on the phones.

thanks for replying! sorry if i may be spamming but would you consider them adequate for commuting? i'm currently using the monoprice 8323,  they sound great! but what can i say... i prefer the looks of the zoro...

Jun 11, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
thanks for replying! sorry if i may be spamming but would you consider them adequate for commuting? i'm currently using the monoprice 8323,  they sound great! but what can i say... i prefer the looks of the zoro...

I guess you have to try and see how they sound to you. You can return them in the 30 day window if you don't like them.

I think they are attractive and they have gotten good reviews, just like the 8323's.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back