Impressions: SR225i/325i vs DT770/880 vs HD600/650
Dec 27, 2010 at 6:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Nebakanezzar

New Head-Fier
Hey All,

first i wanna give a shout out to DXC Store in Culver City. I am in so cal for the holidays so i thought i would check em out. they had a plethora of cans to audition, and the sales guy was very kewl!

So what i tried:
- SR225i
- SR325i
- DT770/32
- DT880/250
- HD600
- HD650

From reading these forums i felt the above cans were what i was looking for, i was able to listen to them unamped with a MP3 player and my samsung vibrant, as well as the stores amp with a CD source, here is what i found:

the Grados were toooo bright! awesome separation good openness, and a little lacking in the lower end. I get the Grado hype, the overall sound was very nice, but the brightness got to me pretty quickly. they were by far the easiest to drive with my MP3 source, and nice and light, but comfort was very lacking.

the DT770/880 didn't do it for me at all, compaired to the sen's and the grados, they didn't really do anything really nice, the low end was a little muddy, and the mids were not clear at all, almost as if the music was playing from behind a curtain...their openness was about the only thing i liked...and when hooked up to my MP3 sources, the dt880/250 was very hard to drive and the dt770 sounded like crap. they were pretty comfortable, but very bulky.

the HD600/650's were awesome! They lacked the separation that the Grados have, but wow, comparatively huge sound stage, great openness and slightly better lower end than the grados...though the grados did much better with female voice i thought. i was also very surprised that they sounded great hooked up to my MP3 sources as well! they definitely didn't get very loud, but what was there sounded killer, much better than i was expecting! comfort was awesome as well, not as bulky as the Beyrs, and wayyyy more comfortable.

...as far as a difference between the HD600 and 650's, there was not much, the 650's were a little clearer/cleaner, but from my short listening time, that's about the only difference i found.

I found out about the DXC store from my research here on Headfi, and i am sooo glad i took the time to head over there, i was getting ready to pull the trigger on some DT880/32's but now i am going to wait, save up some cash, and go for the HD600's...or maybe a used HD650!

...BTW, they also had many, many other cans available for audition, but i didn't want to get too carried away!  :p

Dec 29, 2010 at 9:35 AM Post #2 of 3

Next time you should try and listen to them with an amp.  Even the Grados do very well with amps, and the Beyers and Senns absolutely need them.  Nice to hear a store stocking those headphones.

Jan 1, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:

Next time you should try and listen to them with an amp.  Even the Grados do very well with amps, and the Beyers and Senns absolutely need them.  Nice to hear a store stocking those headphones.

my impressions of the headphones were based on the Amp / CD source the store had. the last part of each was based on using just my MP3 player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back