Impressions & Reviews
Jan 25, 2012 at 12:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kevinzemaitis

Head-Fier

[size=18.0pt]The point of this thread...[/size]

I am going to write about how I feel about some of the audio products I have

IMPRESSIONS are non sound aspects I can comment on instantaneously..
REVIEWS are on sound..

My progress:

[size=10.5pt]       <> Westone 1 <>[/size]
[size=10pt]     <[/size][size=10pt]complete[/size][size=10pt]> Impression[/size]
[size=10pt]     [/size][size=10pt]<[/size][size=10pt]complete[/size][size=10pt]>[/size][size=10pt] Review[/size]

[size=10.5pt]      <> VMODA M80 <>[/size]
[size=10pt]      <[/size][size=10pt]complete[/size][size=10pt]> Impression[/size]
[size=10pt]      <in progress[/size][size=10pt]> Review[/size]

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #2 of 8
IEMs
[size=18.0pt]Westone 1 Impressions[/size]

As of right now here are some of my initial thoughts:
For your information all of my listening I used Comply T-100 tips as seen in pictures

< Great Isolation >

These are masters of isolation with Comply Tips, I can listen at full volume from an iPod Touch and the person sitting right next to me in class cannot hear a touch of music, nor can I hear them even if they have a complaint hahaa. They block a lot of ambient noise even when no music is playing.

< Very Comfortable >

They are quite possibly the most comfortable IEMs I have ever owned, I have no problem falling asleep listening to them. I can barely feel them in my ear they have such a low profile, I can actually lay my head on a pillow and be comfortable. Sometimes when I pause my music, to try to hear someone talk, I forget to hit play again because I forget I have them in.

< Fairly Durable >

They are also more durable than you would think, I must say I am careless when it come to IEMs and sometimes I do forget to put them in the nice little zipper case included when you buy them and usually bundle them up and through them in a pocket or in my backpack. Also I must admit I have dropped them and stepped on at least once accidentally. And even though I roll around on top of them when they come out of my ears during the night they still play over and over again.

< Good Assortment of Accessories >

When I first opened the packaging what I saw was an assortment of tip, a pair of tri-flange, two sets of Comply Foams which I ended up purchasing more (one large and small), and two sets of olives (one small and one larger). Along with those came a wax removal tool which I have come to find pointless and a nice Clamshell hard case which you can see below. Nothing too incredibly mind blowing but a nice set overall.

[size=10pt]There is much more I would like to say but for now that is good enough seeing how its midnight and I have two midterms tomorrow... so here are some photos I took (click for larger):[/size]

[size=18pt]Westone 1 Review[/size]

This is my final thoughts after using these almost daily and nightly for quite a while...

First off I will start by reiterating the fact these headphones are such a comfortable set that once you do achieve a good seal you will most likely forget you have them inserted. This will obviously go for the Westone 2s also because they share the same casing, which is made of an extremely durable plastic. The cable design is a very durable twisted cable that has no trouble with microphonics and when the cable rests on your ear you can not really feel it, the whole IEM sort of disappears once properly inserted. I use Comply tips because I enjoy the fit and comfort they give more so than the finicky single flanges which I can never get a good seal with even though the provide a bit more extension.

As for sound, this single armature produces a very neutral sound, producing a experience for most that can leave you wanting more. It makes you almost agree to disagree with yourself about what you can expect from them.

Bass:

When you listen you can hear that the bass is lacking somewhat and sometimes can leave a bad taste in your mouth in consideration to the genre, as for most Alternative it does not carry the same impact and quantity sufficient for myself sometimes and was one of the turnoffs for me. But in consideration of it being a single balanced armature I would say it holds it own, it seems like much consideration was put into the sound but more consideration was put into how they can build the sound to the price point and not to steal the limelight of already existing models. Some extra care when dealing with lower frequencies would have made these IEMs shine for me. So for me these have stereotypical balanced sound, less extended impacting bass and more concentrated mids. This produces a sound that is light on bass which for some will be less fatiguing.

Mids, Treble & Highs:

The Mid range frequencies are presenting in such a friendly way and are quite successful in the scheme of things; you feel easy going when listening to acoustic tracks and when you go Buddy Holly and plug in the Strat you can actually move to the flow of the melodies and plucks of the guitar strings. As much as the neutral sound is allowance with that is. An overall feeling of smoothness can be felt when concerning the mids and they are my favorite part of these buds. One of my complaints of these is that they do not have a definite separation between higher mid range frequencies and the highs, they all sort of combine in together along with the treble to form a bit of musical mosh pit, to my less trained ears makes the earphones less special and more generic. They lack the extra oomph when considering treble which also ends up the case with the rolling of the highs. The pacing of sounds does not truly matter because the Westone 1s can keep up also.

I would define the overall sound as non fatiguing enjoyable experience which along with the excellent comfort/fit and laid back less colorful tone make the Westone 1s good to unwind to or also study with. They have that effect on me and that is why I continue to use the Westones everyday towards midnight and fall asleep listening to them. I hold great value in these as being my first larger purchase in the world of IEMs have given me a good tasting of what Westone has to offer. I just wish the potential was not as restrained, seems odd to make these to fit into the line of Westone.

Impressions of my Musical Preferences

When listening to Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace by the Foo Fighters I tend to enjoy the earphones a quite bit more than say when say listening to Stadium Arcadium by the Red Hot Chili Peppers, this album encompasses a lot more acoustic guitar and less bass orientated songs which tends to be my least favorite part of the Westone 1s. They do handle tracks like Come Alive, Long Road to Ruin, Stranger Things Have Happened and But, Honestly quite well and the use of acoustics and vocals more pop in my ear because they are less muddled by the low end.

When listening to Cage the Elephants first self titled album some songs come out to me like James Brown, Ain't No Rest for the Wicked, Drones in the Valley and Back Stabbin' Betty. This album more shows off the impact the bass does carry along with how things can be muddled a bit when in conjunction. The singers voice has a unique tone that is carried and presented well throughout and when accented with the guitar the headphones present nicely, it further proves to me that most all vocals will sound good, some say female vocals pop more but I like alternative. And as with the Foo Fighters slight use of piano with guitar sound really objectified and unadulterated.

Into the Great Wide Open by Tom Petty is another album which I think identifies the strong points of the Westone 1s, lots of faster paced guitar with strong male vocals accented with back up singers that have a nice quality to their tone, as in Out in the Cold, Learning to Fly and Into the Great Wide Open. The mixture of pace does not trip the 1s, and certain sections of each song really bring out the softness in Petty's voice. Once again I feel that most everything that includes a sort of acoustic and electric will sound good in these.

This is my own personal opinion and thoughts so excuse my less technical terminology.

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 8

PORTABLEs
[size=18pt]VMODA M-80 Impressions[/size]

[size=10pt]Will post a full review of my VMODA M-80s very soon but still need to put them through some more tests before I judge their sound[/size]

[size=10pt]Here are some of my initial thoughts on these cans:[/size]

[size=10pt]< Amazing Build Quality >[/size]

I am going to start off by saying I dont think I can break these cans, not that I would want to, but never-the-less they seem like they can withstand anything. With minimal moving parts (only the two hinges) with every day normal use you will not experience any problems concerning them falling apart. But beware if you do like to have fully adjustable headphones there is a lack of movement on the vertical axis, and the cups are angled inward towards the front of the face to compensate for the lack of movement. I have dropped these headphones and put them right back on like nothing happened and they still sound great. VMODA is so confident about the build quality they even offer a warranty program in which if you do terminal damage you can send in your cans and get a 50% off coupon for your next purchase from them! I do not foresee any problems with the recessed 3.5mm interconnect or the cables offered with the headphones, so overall they seem like a solid ergonomic headphones with a cool case.

[size=10pt]< They Isolate Well >[/size]

In consideration of their semi-open design I would say that isolation is not a weak point of the M-80s but is not the best thing about these headphones. At normal listening levels for me (around half volume on an iPod) ambient noise is still present but I would say a large portion is cut out, especially when you crank the volume. Conversations are mostly un-audible yet when enough people are chatting or talking like on most public transportation it is noticeable against music.

[size=10pt]< Comfortable After Break In >[/size]

Originally straight out of the box I put them on and the foam pads were quite uncomfortable. But after a few hours I warmed up to them and the foam started to form to my ears, and after about 3 days use the steel headband formed to the contour of my head and now evenly distributes the weight of the all metal construction. Not that the M-80s are incredibly heavy by any standards, but now after some continued usage of the headphones I now consider them quite comfortable and sometimes I forget I have them on. I do occasionally have to take them off after about 3 hours because quite a bit of heat builds up but it only takes away from the overall comfort level a little bit.

Sound will be judged in my later review but I like these headphones so far, so here are some photos will post some more later (click to enlarge)..

seeya for now..

Feb 15, 2012 at 8:07 AM Post #6 of 8
I agree with the westone 1 review fully, it sounds wonderful for someone who is wanting to get into BA drivers and don't wanna spend alot at first. Having a westone 1 as well, i find it to be exceptionally good for jazz and vocal music and just nice for other genres. The bass is there in the right quantity, not too much, not too little as well.

Feb 16, 2012 at 4:40 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Waiting on M80 impressions :)

Soon.. I have way too many other things that take priority but either the weekend or next week sometime.

Quote:
I agree with the westone 1 review fully, it sounds wonderful for someone who is wanting to get into BA drivers and don't wanna spend alot at first. Having a westone 1 as well, i find it to be exceptionally good for jazz and vocal music and just nice for other genres. The bass is there in the right quantity, not too much, not too little as well.

Yes the price was the major selling point along with the comfort of these, they give you a taste of greatness but then again they slap you in the face sometimes. I never have really been into jazz, more blues influenced rock and alternative, I find them to be well above mediocrity but not to high up the totem, vocals are definitely exceptional on these though. The reason I bought these was 3s were so expensive... but now I think they would have handled my genres much better. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back