impressions on the marantz cd5004
Oct 28, 2014 at 6:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

spiderking31

100+ Head-Fier
I currently own the Marantz cd5004, and the DAC that it uses, is the Cirrus Logic cs4392. I was hoping to get advice on two things, being in reference to the cd5004. How good is the DAC it utilizes, and how well does the cd5004 itself compare to other CD players out there, currently on the market? Thanks everyone! Any responses will be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :)

Current setup is:

Marantz cd5004
Sennheiser hd650
Moon audio blue Dragon v3 headphone cable
Little dot mk3 tube amp

Oct 28, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 4
I currently own the Marantz cd5004, and the DAC that it uses, is the Cirrus Logic cs4392. I was hoping to get advice on two things, being in reference to the cd5004. How good is the DAC it utilizes, and how well does the cd5004 itself compare to other CD players out there, currently on the market? Thanks everyone! Any responses will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Current setup is:

Marantz cd5004
Sennheiser hd650
Little dot mk3 tube amp

Nothing wrong with that chip, but it's more about implementation than silicon in most instances. The dac chip has to give the designers what they need to get the result they're looking for, but you will often find that a given chip/transport has been used across several very different CD players/DACs - the devil is often in the details. Marantz has relied on another Cirrus chip, the cs4398, for almost all it's sources from the CD6005 to the new network player, the NA8005, and the soon-to-be-released DAC/headamp the HD-DAC1 - they move to the Burr-Brown dsd1792 for the Reference series, but the approach is much the same - take the chip and build what you need on top of it. 

The HD-DAC1 should be released by Q1, 2015. 

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:01 AM Post #3 of 4
I currently own the Marantz cd5004, and the DAC that it uses, is the Cirrus Logic cs4392. I was hoping to get advice on two things, being in reference to the cd5004. How good is the DAC it utilizes, and how well does the cd5004 itself compare to other CD players out there, currently on the market? Thanks everyone! Any responses will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
smily_headphones1.gif

Current setup is:

Marantz cd5004
Sennheiser hd650
Little dot mk3 tube amp

Hello,
I've CD5004 and some time of using it I think that's a great CD player with very good price. It's DAC is quite fine, giving the spacious sound and attack to quick musical changes. Soundstage could be a bit open and wider, but overall that's why I've bought this CD around 1 year ago. BTW, here is very positive review on Stereophile: http://www.stereophile.com/content/marantz-cd5004-cd-player

Of course its headphone out is rather a joke for me, but the device itself has digital coax out if you want to bypass its built-in DAC. At the begging I was using it, but now, I think it is not necessary since it needed some time to burn in and after that sounds very nice with EX setting - meaning disabling digital out and dimming all the LED after music starts playing.

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #4 of 4
Hello,
I've CD5004 and some time of using it I think that's a great CD player with very good price. It's DAC is quite fine, giving the spacious sound and attack to quick musical changes. Soundstage could be a bit open and wider, but overall that's why I've bought this CD around 1 year ago. BTW, here is very positive review on Stereophile: http://www.stereophile.com/content/marantz-cd5004-cd-player

Of course its headphone out is rather a joke for me, but the device itself has digital coax out if you want to bypass its built-in DAC. At the begging I was using it, but now, I think it is not necessary since it needed some time to burn in and after that sounds very nice with EX setting - meaning disabling digital out and dimming all the LED after music starts playing.
I can honestly agree with you. I really can. But one important question though. I was thinking of getting a Schiit bifrost DAC, but do you think I should? Or is the Cirrus Logic CS4392 better? Thanks a million! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back