Impressions on the DT880
Aug 8, 2003 at 2:29 PM Post #16 of 23
Ebonyks,

I can confirm that tha Beyer DT-931 has become a favourite of mine with a Corda HA-2 (120 ohm) jack. The Corda HA-2 is a touch warm and the Beyer DT-931 is a touch bright so at the 120 ohm jack it is a very nice balance.

Frankly having heard the DT-880 (yes I do own one as well), I prefer the DT-931.

As for the stock Senn Hd-600, it's quite nice with classical and for classical I actually prefer the HD-600 over the DT-880.

However, for rock and pop I prefer the DT-880 over the HD-600 (but I still prefer the DT-931 over the DT-880 and prefer Grado RS-1 or even the SR-225 over the DT-931 for heavy metal and rock. The speed of the Grado's is second to none.

Of course the Grado HP-1 are fare more refined if you can tolerate the weight on your head and it actually has less resolution than the Grado RS-1.

Getting back to the point, if you only can send money on one headphone the DT-931 may be the ticket if you have slightly warm sounding amp. Hover if your amp is on the bright side of things then the DT-880 or even the Senn HD-600 might be better bets.

It's all down to system synergy - plase also consider if your CDP is warm sounding or bringht sounding. Minor errors can be fixed by cables etc.

I always like to start from a high rez standpoint andwork my way to get the soundstage etc.

The DT-931 has very nice air/atmosphere as well.

Aug 9, 2003 at 12:51 PM Post #17 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Jan Meier
DT880 versus HD600
For many the HD600 is a golden standard. This phone has a silky midrange and the upper frequencies, although a little bit subdued, are also of high quality. Nonetheless, in my opinion this phone has one flaw; its bass. The upper bass is a little bit bloated and the deepest bass is too weak. Bass is also somewhat on the slow side. With the HD600 the lower frequencies and the upper/midrange are sonically always a little bit separated. Not so with the DT880. This phone has a seamless transition from the mid frequencies to the deepest bass that makes this phone very easy to listen to. The HD600 is superior though in presenting the fine details of the performance.

my first complain against the HD600, as a bassist, was that it CAN'T reproduce the true sound of bass guitars. i ain't talking about quality, i'm talking about character. it's like a "splited bass" effect. it is very noticable on female vocals too, the lower voice frequencies make them sound less feminine.
as a man, i was pissed off
biggrin.gif

Aug 10, 2003 at 1:26 PM Post #18 of 23
Rameish and Adam

Thanks for bumping this up!!! We've heard Jan himself. I gather he paired the 880 with his amps (the PreHead I believe). Hmmm, it gives the DT880 bass that "goes deep, very very deep indeed". I guess this means that those who complained their DT880 to have "insufficient" low frequencies must take into consideration on giving this pair the proper amp to power it.

Thanks Jan.

Aug 10, 2003 at 4:41 PM Post #21 of 23
Aug 10, 2003 at 4:47 PM Post #22 of 23
I've read all those threads before as well. I've been seriously considering the DT880's for awhile and I sincerely hope that those present at the meet were defective in some way [crosses fingers].

Aug 10, 2003 at 8:56 PM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by gus_tavo
Thanks for bumping this up!!! We've heard Jan himself. I gather he paired the 880 with his amps (the PreHead I believe). Hmmm, it gives the DT880 bass that "goes deep, very very deep indeed". I guess this means that those who complained their DT880 to have "insufficient" low frequencies must take into consideration on giving this pair the proper amp to power it.

i guess ppl will also tend to think so because the DT880's bass is totaly controlled - so if you have a light-medium bassy recording played through more "bassy" phones, they will tend to be more bassy then the DT880, which have a great bass POTENTIAL.
but when the recording really holds deep bass - the beyers will come to life with it - natural and precise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back