Impressions on M3 and HD650: Surprise!
Aug 20, 2005 at 7:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sean-xenos

100+ Head-Fier
Some weeks ago I finished building my M3. I used 3x OPA627BPs as opamps, the rest of the parts keep close to amb's recommendations on parts selection, gain is 9.
As I'm a big fan of the Grado RS-1 with c-pads, I chose opamps and gain to suit my RS-1.

Some days ago I found a very tempting offer for a Sennheiser HD650 on eBay and though I have been rather reserved about the HD650 in the past, the offer was just too tempting.

There have been some threads asking for amp recommendations for the HD650 or for experiences with the combo M3 and HD650 so I'd like to share my impressions with you.

Before having an M3, my short impressions on the HD650 had always been veiled highs and a rather exaggerated, bloated upper bass and lower midrange, I even called that a rather "pompous" sound.

Experiencing the HD650 in combination with my M3 however makes me change my former opinions.
First I was uncertain if the opamps I had chosen in the M3 would match the HD650 well. The OPA627s are said to be more laid back and a bit more "tamed" in the highs than other opamps, that' s why I chose them for my Grado RS-1.

But from the start I really was surprised about the sound of the M3 and the HD650.
There is pure treble energy, the highs aren't veiled at all, no the heighs are cristal clear and very well resoluted.
Furthermore the M3 has the power and "authority" to drive the HD650 appropriately in the bass and midrange section as well.
The bass is rather tight and controlled, the midrange is neutral, may be a bit too neutral for my taste as I like the woody sound coloration of the RS-1.
The HD650 doesn't sound "pompous" any more. Wow, I'm really impressed.

Whether I prefer the RS-1 or the HD650 is now dependent on the kind of music I'm listening to. With vocals and rock I still prefer the RS-1, but with bigger orchestras I usually take the HD650.
Listening to The Planets (by Holst) for example, I really think that Sennheiser did a good job on the HD650. The sound is well balanced with good resolution and non-fatiguing.

Aug 20, 2005 at 12:59 PM Post #2 of 7
Spupe. Another 650 fan enters the shrine.
600smile.gif

Aug 20, 2005 at 2:12 PM Post #4 of 7
Here's a BOM right from AMB's site that will lay out for you how much a "stock" M3 will cost in parts. It leaves out stuff like jacks, knobs, and the case as there are just too many options to list.

HTH,

Nate

Aug 20, 2005 at 2:19 PM Post #5 of 7
I really only like the HD650 when they're driven from a balanced amp.

Otherwise they just sound too veiled and bass heavy. There is all this treble detail that opens up with the balanced amp...Not my idea of neutral otherwise.

-Matt

Aug 20, 2005 at 5:32 PM Post #6 of 7
Wow, seriously? I've gotta hear my HD650s with a balanced amp then. I haven't noticed a ton of bass or much veiling treble wise, not so as to be totally of kilter (with my rig), but I'd be curious to hear the difference. I'm actually currently looking to replace my amp and I will almost certainly be going balanced... that is if I don't follow the crazy streak within me and buy the last new orpheus available in the world... bwahahaha...

Neil

Aug 20, 2005 at 5:36 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I really only like the HD650 when they're driven from a balanced amp.

Otherwise they just sound too veiled and bass heavy. There is all this treble detail that opens up with the balanced amp...Not my idea of neutral otherwise.

-Matt

Which balanced amp are you referring to?

I wonder what a balanced M3 would sound like...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back