Impressions on HD555 and SR60
Mar 16, 2007 at 9:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Mark_420

Head-Fier
Well I am somewhat new to the headphone scene, I have always liked good sound and gone through various speakers, cd players and headphones over the years. However I have never really known about the high end stuff until i stumbled across this site. I decided I wanted to try out a few different pairs of headphones to get started so I picked up the PX100 for portable use, HD55 for home, and SR60 for home as well. I am impressed with the sound i get out of my PX100's for portable use, i have no interest in amping them because of the extra heft to carry around. Only problem so far is sound leaking in (lots of traffic walking to campus), but this is to be expected with the design. Now the HD555 i have had for about 3 weeks and enjoyed them very much, they get used for movies and games as well as music. Everyone states how the Senn's have a darker more laid back sound, I was unsure of exactly what this sounded like, but to my ears it did not see like this from my cans. I find they do very well for me in the music i listen to (rock, punk, metal, trance, indie). However as I have read countless times Grado is really the way to go for rock, so i ordered a pair of SR60's. These cans just came in today and i have been giving them the rounds for the last 2 hours. To my surprise I was not as blown away as i expected from these. I am not sure if they require burn in though. To my ears they sound very similar to the Senn's, guitars do seem to have more of a bite to them though. I am however drawing conclusions too soon i realize as i need to do some serious a/b'ing. The big difference i notice between the two is the soundstage of the Senn's is that much bigger, and bass response has more kick. On a good note I find the Grado's very comfortable (not as much as the Senn's), from what i have read I got the impression they were uncomfortable cans(but this is probably the bowls, and not the comfies that come on the 60's). Also the cord on the Grado's is much better than the Senn's, thicker and more high end looking. Overall i'm glad I took the plunge into this hobby. I am not happy about my wallet though
frown.gif
, I am already eying up a pair of DT990's and an EMU 0404 USB to get me into listening bliss.

Mar 16, 2007 at 9:52 PM Post #2 of 16
Yeah, the HD555s certainly deviate from Sennheiser's trademark sound signature, they're much more in your face than the HD580/HD600. I have not heard the SR60s yet.

I find the HD555s are great all-purpose cans. They're good for most music types, great for games (though bass impact could be stronger), and very good for movies. Not to mention they're some of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.
biggrin.gif

Mar 16, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Namrac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, the HD555s certainly deviate from Sennheiser's trademark sound signature, they're much more in your face than the HD580/HD600. I have not heard the SR60s yet.

I find the HD555s are great all-purpose cans. They're good for most music types, great for games (though bass impact could be stronger), and very good for movies. Not to mention they're some of the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn.
biggrin.gif

Unfortunately where I live there are no high end audio stores that i can demo cans, but I really want to give the HD650 a go to see how different the sound is from the HD555. An interesting note is that even though the HD555 is a 50ohm can they play louder at the same volume than the SR60's do
blink.gif
, odd..

Mar 16, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 16
I'm actually listening to both the SR 60's and the HD 555 right now as well, and I agree with your assessment. I think there is very little the grado does better than the Sennheisers. The sennheisers are definitely more comfortable, and they have the edge in soundstaging and bass reproduction. The SR60 has a sparklier high end, which may or may not be to your taste. All of these comments are relating to the headphones running unamplified, by the way. In the US, the Sennheisers cost $100 more than the SR60s, which in my opinion they are not worth. I hear that grados are rather expensive overseas, though, so your mileage may vary. I personally love falling asleep with headphones on, it's one of my great joys, so the sennheisers were worth it just for that.

I also, curiously, have the EMU and recommend it very highly. Especially if, like myself, you have an interest in using your computer as an instrument. The ASIO driver of the EMU is a bare necessity for making music. I bought a laptop recently, so my emu might go for sale. Keep your eyes peeled.

Mar 16, 2007 at 10:41 PM Post #5 of 16
Yes, internationally Grado's are quite the rip off, i paid 118 before taxes for mine, and the HD555 were only 165 before taxes (canadian), so this is not much of a difference. If I were in the States it would be a much different story as far as value goes. I am very curious as to the effect I will get off the EMU, as it is a DAC and amp all in one. Currently I only have the audigy 4, which is not renowned for having a great DAC. Sheerwood how do you find the difference between the 60's and 555's unamped versus using the EMU?

Mar 18, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #6 of 16
The difference definitely widens the better amplification they get. The 555s tend to get better with better equipment up the chain, where the grados seem ideally suited to being driven by low power. I imagine a big part of that is the difference in impedance, but the 555s really shine with more power. If you're seriously looking at the 0404, I'd strongly recommend the 555s.

Mar 18, 2007 at 9:58 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The difference definitely widens the better amplification they get. The 555s tend to get better with better equipment up the chain, where the grados seem ideally suited to being driven by low power. I imagine a big part of that is the difference in impedance, but the 555s really shine with more power. If you're seriously looking at the 0404, I'd strongly recommend the 555s.

yes, even @50 ohm, 595s/555s need to an AMP for
basshead.gif
!

Mar 18, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #8 of 16
good to know, I was looking into a go-vibe v6, would this amp be well suited for HD555's and SR60's?

Mar 19, 2007 at 8:11 AM Post #10 of 16
I was looking at the Govibe today as well, and it looks like a good choice. I would roll the opamp in the v5 to the one in the v6 anyways, and the battery charger is a nice option. I was also interested in the C&C v2, with the three toggle switches for bass boost, mid boost, and soundstage boost. The latter two seem useless for the 595, but the bass boost might be useful sometimes. That goes for 109 shipped on their website and ebay, but there's a possible group buy coming up.

Of everything I've seen, that C&C looks the best to me. One review (of questionable merit) says it sounds very similar to Ray Samuels SR-71. Yikes!

Mar 19, 2007 at 9:23 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the US, the Sennheisers cost $100 more than the SR60s, which in my opinion they are not worth. I hear that grados are rather expensive overseas, though, so your mileage may vary.

I'll say! Here in the Netherlands HD555s start at 71 euro ($94.50) while SR-60s cost at least90 ($120).

Mar 19, 2007 at 11:15 AM Post #12 of 16
In many markets outside the US, the Alessandro versions of Grado can often fit in more economically if the rather similar "sound" is an acceptable alternative.

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:44 AM Post #13 of 16
... Or just buy used from Head-fi. The discount off the American prices is nothing, but it makes a world of difference to you chaps overseas. No reason to pay $120 for an $80 headphone...

Mar 20, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #14 of 16
ive got both the 555s big bro the 595 and the sr60. Haven't heard the 555 though.... Overall I like the 595 better, but only if it is amplified and eq'd with a bit more bass. Out of an iPod, I think I like the sr60 better for most things, since I think they sound better than the 595 w/flat eq. The soundstage is of course much better on the 595 and the highs seem more solid. With amplification I think the 595 can be really mean rock machines! I just listened to the psuedo-new system of a down and the guitars were really tight and punchy; definitely not 'laid back' sounding.

I've got the px100 for my sister and she likes it! I think the grado sounds better, but the px100 is pretty darn good. I think it sounds a bit more sophisticated than the ksc75.

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #15 of 16
I just did some gaming in Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142 and really was amazed at what a difference the sound stage makes. Granted I know the SR60's are not at all meant for gaming, but just did it for kicks. I guess the music i listen to doesn't point out the difference in sound stage that well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back