impressions on Beyerdynamics dt990 .
Feb 29, 2004 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

boodi

Headphoneus Supremus
I received the Beyerdinamics DT990 Pro version yesterday in the morning .
I've been listening to them till now ..
I received them used ,yet burned .

I plugged them first to a Porta Corda 2 amp , plugged the Porta Corda 2 to my Pioneer PCD-S504 home cd player , then I started listenings some rock / pop / classics ( ex. Muse- Absoultion , Dream Theatre-Awake , Christina Aguilera-Stripped , Beethoven Symphony n.5 & Rachmaninov piano concertos 1-2-3 ).

I instantly noticed an overwhelming deep to low-mid bass presence wich was filling the most of my listening - after some time I started adapting and I started to hear details also in the rest of the music i was listening to .Anyway the sound was REALLY too muffed .

I decided to try them plugged directly to my home cdp headphones out , then out of my '80 solid state Phlilps amplifier , which is for sure not the best amp i ever listened to for headphones , but indeed it's a warm general good sounding unit .

Then I definitely deicided to equalize the dt990 through analog equalizer in order to remove the bass "clouding" veil which i didn't like so much for the most of the music i was getting through .

[size=xx-small]I want to point out i wouldn't use them straight out of the porta corda amp without equalizing , for the equalized sound was at first impact more detailed , balanced and imaging was really far better Vs. unequalized , and the equalize job sincerely seemed to me revealing about the strenghts of these cans .I'd also like to say I'm a one man-one can type of person ( i almost dislike shifting through phones and prefer to find a sonic signature I like - that is a pair of headphones if you want - then keep it for the most of the time i listen to music ) [/size]

After equalizing ( that was lowering some low frq. in a linear way , after seeing the dt990 graph frq. rsp. on headroom site , let's say from 40 to 400 hz ) these headphones started to sound good .
The sound I'm listening to now is spatial , rich , and dynamics are good . I'm quite amazed for in the beginning i definitely couldn't imagine they could sound so good .

They sound is *big* , that is very rich , but frqs. are not completely separated .
Presence is good and never too "close" - which means you can fully appreciate music while not fatigue .
Yet the overall presentation is strong and quite detailed .

I lowered the bass and it removed the dark veil , but for their own construction , the bass presence is here again and rather extended even if lowered ; they're no more so "dark sounding", I would say now they've got a "dark power" , a groove - which fill up all the sound .

They really shine for dynamic smothness - Maybe I would have heard a little more refinement in details , they don't separate as well as for ex. akg501 ( given they are different beasts
smily_headphones1.gif
akg k501 are really very good for presentation and separation ) but definitely - once equalized - the dynamic spread and how dynamics groove in the chambers of the drivers of these cans , and also how these things are done without loosing the bass extension and presence ....this things are just done togheter in a good way .
I'd say they are among the best non analitical headphones i've heard till now for the groove they provide .

---------DT990 pro - equalized -

BIG PROs : dynamic range + big soundstage , not laid back and not fatiguing , best overall "groove" I've heard .

BIG CONS : IMO need equalization to sound their best , not comfy as 990 non pro , insufficient separation . Priced .

EDIT : since they were giving me too much pressure against ears ( the pressure is due to the fact I'm wearing the dt990 PRO model , while the dt990 non pro are by stock more comfortable ), for personal comfort i stretched and enlarged to relaxe the overhead band ; it worked very for me .
Now it's been hours they are staying on my head and i can listen to them without any hassle .

II EDIT : after two days of listening to them equalized I decided to step back and restart listening -without equalization- paired with the Porta Corda 2 amp. , for they seems to get me adapted to their own unequalized signature day by day .

III EDIT : dt990 IMO beat DT531 for groove and air when properly amp.

Feb 29, 2004 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 4
Nice review. It does seem that the way to get the best results out of the DT770/990 does seem to be to give them some kind of equalization, but I thought the DT990s were pretty nice cans, and being a techno fan, I quite liked their punchy and deep bass, one of the most visceral I've ever heard from an open can.

Enjoy your new cans
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back