Impressions of the Fiio e3 amp?
Jan 31, 2009 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

cakeman

100+ Head-Fier
I am just introducing myself into audio and such(used to wear stock ipod earbuds O__O) I just got some basic cans and IEM's Which include sennheiser HD202's and CX-300's.(poor college kid! get some 600's soon hopefully)
darthsmile.gif
Which was a huge improvement over the earbuds. But after reading how much quality can be added via amp I wanted to try one.

Well. Being a poor college kid I can't afford much(darn 300+ dollar books)
Saw that some users enjoyed the fiiO e3 little amp.(woot 10 dollar amp)

My question is... I don't really listen to music that loud(usually 1/4 the max) And I was wondering if this little amp would increase my sound quality of my bad gear without destroying my ears.

In other terms of amps. I "attempted" to make a basic cmoy and that didn't work so well.I didn't add a pot. and the gain is 11 >__> my ears died so I sold it on ebay for 15 bucks.

Jan 31, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #2 of 8
For the price i would choose the Fiio E5 due to its less hiss. The E3 has its price based on the batteries.

They are both winners (specially the E5 allowing you to use the Bass boost on or off + having less hiss than its younger brother)

For that price you would get to know what an amp does, and it will help you quite a lot. plus their size is just excellent for portability

Jan 31, 2009 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 8
I regard my Fiio as more of an equaliser than a worthwhile quality addition. If you're saving to buy HD600s then get a worthwhile amp (and think about source too). I'm only saying this because it doesn't cost that much more to have a pleasing high fidelity sound
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 31, 2009 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 8
I'd definitely, if you are choosing a Fiio, to go with the E5 and not use the bass boost on it. That said, you are chancing your arm synergy wise as the E5 tbh, is better paired with hard to drive ear/headphones. Don't get the E3 as the bass boost on it = super bass on both the 202's and CX300, both of which are strong bass wise already.

Jan 31, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #6 of 8
Blah.
So the e3 is for hard to drive cans x.x

The 202's are 32 ohms >_>

Jan 31, 2009 at 9:40 PM Post #8 of 8
Yeah the sennheiser HD 202's are 32 ohms. I just want an amp to make the mids and bass a little better. Not to make them any louder.
Whats the gain on the fiio?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back