Impressions of Sennheiser 595
Nov 12, 2004 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 62

acs236

Headphoneus Supremus
I just received a pair used and wanted to post my initial impressions, which are subject to change once my brain burns in. I've only listed for about an hour so far. But initial impressions can be useful.

The 595s are extremely comfortable. Probably the most comfortable headphone I've used.

The soundstage is nice -- not as big as the CD3000, but more natural.

They seem a bit thin, but also congested.

Nov 13, 2004 at 1:41 PM Post #3 of 62
I really have no idea. Time will tell. One thing to add... the other phones that I've been listening to recently are the CD3000, RS-2, and the HD650. Right before I tried the 595s, I was listening to the RS-2s, which might make any headphone sound congested by comparison.

Nov 14, 2004 at 12:27 AM Post #4 of 62
I would be interested in how they compare to the Senn 650's. I currently own a pair of those and would also be interested in obtaining a set of 595's if the sound was different enough.

Nov 14, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #5 of 62
i heard a lot of great things about 595s. i've been a grado-only guy so far, but not intentially. if i were to get a pair of senns (i intend to eventually), would the 595's be a good first?

Nov 14, 2004 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 62
The 595s would be a great first sennheiser headphone. They're smack dab in between the grado and senn signature. To me, they're extremely versatile for just about any listening you'd want to do. That may be their downfall, however. I can't think of anything they excel in, but they're very good at everything. Honestly, I listen to them more than my HD650s, though.
Aug1516, there is a pretty big difference between the 595s and the 650s. If you've heard grados the 595s are between them and the 650s. The 595s are much easier to drive, they just don't extend as far in either direction as the 650s.

Nov 14, 2004 at 5:26 AM Post #7 of 62
I was the original owner of his headphones, and yes I can guarantee you that they were burned in very thouroughly. Almost one-hundred hours if I remember correctly.

These headphones are extremely detailed and analytical listening reveals a LOT of its strong points, including the real accuracy across the entire sound spectrum.

Nov 14, 2004 at 7:18 AM Post #8 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by DevilDog
To me, they're extremely versatile for just about any listening you'd want to do. I can't think of anything they excel in, but they're very good at everything.

Interesting you should say this, as it's almost word for word what I wrote in Audioreview about the 595. Interesting also that of those people dissatisfied with the 595, boredom is given as the prime reason--which to me kind of suggests that some colouration they liked in their previous phones is not being provided by the 595. Personally I've found the 595s remarkably uncoloured, honest and versatile, but I'd never claim they were the ultimate phones. What they do do is let you get on with listening to music without any of those vague feelings that something's not quite right. My main criticisms are that they're not quite as comfortable as previous Senn phones and have simply terrible microphony--this really should be attended to. If Senn put out a deluxe stiffened and dampened version I'd be first on the list.

Nov 14, 2004 at 9:00 AM Post #9 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by pp312
Interesting you should say this, as it's almost word for word what I wrote in Audioreview about the 595. Interesting also that of those people dissatisfied with the 595, boredom is given as the prime reason--which to me kind of suggests that some colouration they liked in their previous phones is not being provided by the 595. Personally I've found the 595s remarkably uncoloured, honest and versatile, but I'd never claim they were the ultimate phones. What they do do is let you get on with listening to music without any of those vague feelings that something's not quite right.

I think you're exactly right when you say that the fact that these cans are relatively uncolored = boredom for many people. The fact is, a lot of people like a certain degree of coloration (whether it be from the headphone, the amp, or the source) because it can make the music more fun to listen to. Aside from the bass, which a lot of people find overly present on the HD 595, I think they are extremely analytical and uncolored. To some, this is a very good thing. I like to listen to the music rather than the gear, and I suppose I do prefer some coloration because I have had much more fun with each of my Grados than I did with the HD 595...but I can't fault you for liking the 595. If we all had the same tastes, this would be a much less interesting hobby.
wink.gif

Quote:

My main criticisms are that they're not quite as comfortable as previous Senn phones and have simply terrible microphony--this really should be attended to. If Senn put out a deluxe stiffened and dampened version I'd be first on the list.

Funny that I've never seen or read anything about a cable swap for the HD 595. With so many people being able to tell a difference in the 580/600/650 with the addition of an aftermarket cable, I have to wonder if the HD 595 could benefit from one.

Nov 14, 2004 at 3:35 PM Post #10 of 62
Quote:

Interesting you should say this, as it's almost word for word what I wrote in Audioreview about the 595.

I've never read Audioreview so that is interesting. Glad to know that I have the same impressions as others and I'm not way out in left field.
Now I'll have to go look that review up. When was it?

Nov 14, 2004 at 4:39 PM Post #11 of 62
I've listened for a couple more hours and I'm still having trouble with these phones. Perhaps this is not surprising, however. They retain enough of the Sennheiser laid-back quality for me to criticize them for now having the detail and warmth of the HD650. In other words, I don't find their sonic signature to be different enough from the HD650 to avoid comparisons. And frankly, I think the HD650 blows them away.

They are warm enough to avoid some of the problems I have with the CD3000 on some recordings, but I still would like them to be a touch more forward. Oddly enough, I find the bass a tad lacking, which is very strange because I usually am pretty sensitive to bass.

BTW -- I've been listening to them with my Gilmore V.1 -- perhaps this is not the best match?

Nov 14, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #13 of 62
i got a feeling that if want to experience the real sennheiser sound , hd580 hd600 hd650 are the ones , hd555 and hd595 are some side products which you may like them or not

Nov 14, 2004 at 6:28 PM Post #14 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by acs236
I've listened for a couple more hours and I'm still having trouble with these phones. Perhaps this is not surprising, however. They retain enough of the Sennheiser laid-back quality for me to criticize them for now having the detail and warmth of the HD650. In other words, I don't find their sonic signature to be different enough from the HD650 to avoid comparisons. And frankly, I think the HD650 blows them away.

They are warm enough to avoid some of the problems I have with the CD3000 on some recordings, but I still would like them to be a touch more forward. Oddly enough, I find the bass a tad lacking, which is very strange because I usually am pretty sensitive to bass.

BTW -- I've been listening to them with my Gilmore V.1 -- perhaps this is not the best match?

The solid state amps I listened to them on ruined the sound, IMO - I really like it when they were hooked up to the MG Head OTL amp (tube) that I tried out. Much more "full" sound, in my opinion.

I would suggest trying to find a tube amp to test it on. The impedence is really high for those cans and work best on tubes.

Nov 15, 2004 at 12:32 AM Post #15 of 62
Quote:

Originally Posted by hentai
i got a feeling that if want to experience the real sennheiser sound , hd580 hd600 hd650 are the ones , hd555 and hd595 are some side products which you may like them or not

That sums it up pretty well. I think the HD595s are great headphones on their own, but they don't have the true Sennheiser sound. They are a departure, to be sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back