Impressions of headphones after coming back from NYC
Nov 12, 2002 at 1:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

BoardC3

500+ Head-Fier
So over this weekend i went to NYC hoping to find somewhere that sells high-end grados. I went to 5 stores, 4 didnt have any grados and the 5th had a pair of the SR-60s. EVERY store had the Senn 600s so finally i gave up and decided to hear this because i had nothing else to do. I heard them on a $15,000 McIntosh system with my own CDs which i was very familiar with. I though that the midrange was in one word incredible. The high end seemed a little vailed to me, and the bass went very deep but seemed like it was too much. My overall impression was not that great. I think im the hardest person to impress on these boards. I have the Ety ER-4Ps but found them boring so im trading them tomorrow. I think the Senn 600s are very smooth but seems a little bass heavy (i wouldnt say i dont like them but they didnt blow me away) the phones Ive been most impressed with are Grados i currently am having Some RS-1s shipped to me. (I got them for Ety's, a riovolt 250, and 2dvds
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
biggrin.gif
, i think the greatest deal ive ever made. so i cant wait for them to arrive! (see if they can impress me)

Nov 12, 2002 at 1:54 AM Post #2 of 18
its, its kinda lame, almost everystore has grado and a few have the sein..
but i hearHarvey electronics has a big selection of stuff (and there are like 3 harvey stores) gonna check it out soon
(or if anyone else has good suggestions for stores in NYC which have cans...)
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 12, 2002 at 2:31 AM Post #3 of 18
Stereo Exchange on Broadway had a fair Grado/Sennheiser selection when I was there a few months ago - beware the shark-like sales people, who circle, ever watchful.

Park Audio on Park (4th) around about 29th St. also had a couple of pairs of Grado. Observe the single complacent employee behind the counter, too damn busy to even acknowledge your presence. I wanted to spend my money, but I don't think I'll bother.

Nov 12, 2002 at 2:48 AM Post #4 of 18
I shoulda asked before i left. I went to 2 harveys one of them had a pair of SR-60s but thats it. Although i loved the rest of the store

Nov 12, 2002 at 2:52 AM Post #5 of 18
Sound by Singer on 16th between Union Square West and 5th has the entire Grado line for demo. The last time I was there, the amp they were using was the Musical Fidelity V2.

Nov 12, 2002 at 3:30 AM Post #7 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by bozebuttons
Why don't you just come to the meet next sat 11/16 at Grado labs.

Come one, come all !
biggrin.gif

Nov 12, 2002 at 4:01 AM Post #9 of 18
J and R Music World used to have a headphone demo board with lots of different phones. I haven't been there in about a year but it may still be there--I'd suggest calling them in advance. Some of the connections were always out of order, but they did have a fair selection (for a retail store in NYC)--several Senns, several higher end Sonys (not the R10!) and a few more.

I bought my electrostats from them (Koss ESP 950).

Nov 12, 2002 at 5:16 AM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Calanctus
J and R Music World used to have a headphone demo board with lots of different phones. I haven't been there in about a year but it may still be there--I'd suggest calling them in advance. Some of the connections were always out of order, but they did have a fair selection (for a retail store in NYC)--several Senns, several higher end Sonys (not the R10!) and a few more.

I bought my electrostats from them (Koss ESP 950).

It's still there, although they all sound awful being that their all plugged into one source...i assume. Very expensive though.

Nov 12, 2002 at 5:27 AM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
It's still there, although they all sound awful being that their all plugged into one source...i assume. Very expensive though.

The great thing about places like J n R is that they can help you decide on what you want to buy after listening to them. Then they help you save money by going somewhere else to buy them for a more reasonable price!!! Any store that charges at or near full MSRP is going to lose tons of money to others that sell for a more reasonable price structure.

Lord Bless and I hope you find some really good headphones to buy!!

Nov 12, 2002 at 10:49 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally posted by Riddles
great, almost everyplace has grado, a few have sien, but non have beyer???
i want to take the 770 pro for a test drive ....

Try Dale Electronics, 20th between 5th and Broadway.

Nov 12, 2002 at 12:56 PM Post #15 of 18
BoardC3, you're the only other person here (that I can think of) who wasn't especially impressed with the ER-4P's sound. I liked them, but aside from being uncomfortable, they didn't blow me away. And for that kind of money, I'd like to be blown. away. So, I'm returning them to HeadRoom later on today.

I went to Harvey Electronics on Rt. 17 in Paramus, NJ (10 minutes from my house) several weeks ago, on my quest to listen to some different headphones. Had a chance to try the HD 600s quickly, and the SR-80s (they had the sr-60s, I believe, but not an open pair for auditioning).

As for finding Beyerdynamic 'phones to audition, you are so right...I never found any stores near me that had them for listening (or had them at all, except for one store with a pair of the older DT 770s at a good price). When I called Beyerdynamic's USA offices, Dale Eletronics was recommended by them as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back