Feb 8, 2011 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

LAmitchell

100+ Head-Fier
i'll make it SHORT/SWEET:

right out of the box, there is a WOW factor:

increased SOUNDSTAGE... i LOVE this!

this is actually what i hoped the HD650 would
have sound liked to begin...
after all, it's not an inexpensive headphone.

having said THE ABOVE, if i heard the
EQUINOX right after i PIAD FOR my 650,
i would have BOUGHT the EQUINOX.

love it love it love it. hope this helps/makes sense.

Tom

Feb 8, 2011 at 7:34 AM Post #2 of 5
I approached aftermarket cables with some skepticism, so I got a prominent Head-Fi DIYer to make me a custom upocc copper cable for a fraction of the cost of boutique cables. I avoided silver as my preference skews towards a warmer more musical presentation, rather than etched highs and micro detail.

The first thing that struck me about the sound with this cable was the widening of the sound stage. The second thing was the crunch, particularly in distorted guitars, and the layering of the already lush textures. Added weight in the low end rounded out the rest of the sound.

Most HD650 owners will agree these cans shine when the volume is turned up. I tend to listen for extended periods so I usually listen at low to moderate levels. With my new cable it feels as though I've turned the dial up a notch even though it's still in the same 9 o'clock position. The cable doesn't drastically change the sound, it just refines what's there and presents it with greater resolve. It's a small improvement, but it's taken me over the line. This is the exact synergy I was looking for, and I'm pretty damn pleased I've found it in my modest setup.

Feb 8, 2011 at 9:20 AM Post #3 of 5
wow! that was WELL SAID....

it's pretty much EXACTLY how i feel about the sound of my new cable.

the thing i'd like to point out is that:

it DOES "take it over the line" as you said.

i think for THE PRICE of the HD650,
sennheiser should have included a cable
as good as the EQUINOX. shame on sennheiser.

Feb 12, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #4 of 5
I used Cardas cable on my 650's for a long time, then I switched to Stephan Audio Art (Equinox) now I'm much happier.
L3000.gif

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #5 of 5
I can't speak for the 650's but I did get the Equinox for my 580's, and while it wasn't dramatic, it was definitely an improvement over the stock cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back