impression on the UE 5 Pro + where do I stand?
Oct 3, 2009 at 3:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Lawitz

New Head-Fier
Hello, I´m new here even tough I had read some topics here in the past.

I was someone who would spend no more than 20€ on earbuds, I broke like 5 of those (always the cable) and got annoyed by the bad sound quality. I realized I needed IEMs.

So I checked out how 50€ units were and learned that they are not good enough. So I bought the UE 5 Pro for 190€, it was a spontanious decision, for some reason I had to get this ultimate listening experience which was the best I could afford (I´m a student and don´t have a job).

At first it was weird getting used to them but the more I listened to them the more I found them great. Each time I listen to them I´m amazed at the sound they can produce. Curious about the difference to other earphones I made a comparison with AKG 12p, Sennheiser MX550 and Sennheiser CX400 and my Sennheiser PC161 headset. the first two were like toy cars compared to UE. the CX400 had a similar maybe even higher bass but soundwise the UE 5 Pro sounds natural while the CX400 sound weak on sound, sort of flat. the headset sounds about the same, but I think I like the UE more. I can´t really tell you about the sound as I´m not an audiophile with knowledge, I´m just someone who loves great sound.

The replaceable cable was why I chose UE and not westone or some other IEMs. I´m currently using my third cable and use comply foam tips, so far I used up about 200€ or so just to keep the IEMs running but its worth it,even though I think they are far overpriced; 21€ for 5 pairs of comply foam, they are a monopol so I guess they can charge what they want.

I read a bit on this forum and got overwhelmed by the huge amount of choice you have and those uber over 1000€ top of the line models. right now I can´t afford anything pricier than the UE 5 Pro but I´d like to know where I stand. if I compared the JH 13 pro or the UE 11 Pro to my 5 Pro, how much better would those be? probably not the same difference as earbuds<->UE 5 Pro but like 50% better maybe? Once I start working and making enough money I´m thinking about buying something like that (in the far future) so I´d like to know what to expect.

Oct 3, 2009 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 6
Are you sure you got the UE 5 Pro, and not the UE Super.fi 5 pro?

because the 5 pro is $600 USD and is a custom IEM, whereas you paid $277...

If so, the UE SF 5 pro is a more than decent IEM, and is pretty high up there. I've got a pair, and love them. they do sometimes get a little bit bassy, but for me that's probably ideal. a classic example of the UE sound.

Oct 3, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 6
Glad you're liking them.

Yeah, the Comply tips, well most tips, are pretty expensive. I think I paid about half that, $15 US for a 3 pack variety pack (S,M,L), and I'm within driving distance of Comply. For a 5 pack, it's still $20 US without shipping. Your $33 US isn't too bad given the overseas shipping. You are paying for a specialty product though, and that will always come with a price premium.

Once you're done using the Comply tips, try out the Shure foam tips. They're not a memory foam like the Comply, but they are tapered and decently soft. They're referred to around here as the Shure Olives because that's what they look like. What they mainly gain is durability. They're much tougher and last longer then the Comply. They seal just as well and about as comfortable. They also don't soak up the high frequencies as much which is something softer foam tips can do.

Oct 3, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 6
I use SF5Pro and now i have UE10Pro, if i compare both then i will say it's huge difference because the soundstage is much bigger(bigger than IE8 and TF10Pro) and overall sound much crispier, detailed and high resolution. When first i tried my UE10Pro i was just amazed how big they sound and then instrument separation, resolutions. I heard UE11Pro and JH13Pro are even bigger sounding than UE10Pro with more details and better bass. So i will say if you go with JH13Pro then you willbe amazed how big they sound if compare to SF5Pro and resolutions, details(mids, highs, bass) much higher than SF5Pro.

Oct 3, 2009 at 6:21 PM Post #5 of 6
yes I meant the SF5Pro not the custom.

ordering from the usa is cheaper but then I have to drive to the customs here in germany so I bought it here.

do the shure olives seal off noise more than the comply foams or about the same?

are these the olives: Shure PA910M Schaumstoff Ohrpassstücke Gr. M 5 Paar : OHRDIO.de : Kopfhörer ?

will they fit my SF5Pro normally or do I have to modify something?

how will I know what size to buy? the comply foam is unversal fit but shure has different sizes. the silicone small tips that came with the UE fit the best, though they start to annoy after 30 minutes to 1 hour and hurt after 2. a pause will not work as the ear will still hurt from the previous use.

Oct 3, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #6 of 6
those look like the olives..and i think theres a mod somewhere to have the olives fit the UE stem. gonna have to search for it somewhere

Users who are viewing this thread

Back