Impression difference in listening music
Aug 9, 2021 at 5:27 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

iamcustomer

New Head-Fier
I got pretty different impression when I listened the same music at different times. Sometimes, I feel the music is so great and I am very happy, using different headphones. But in some other time, I feel the music is not so great, even using the best headphone I have. I am sure I use the same setting.
Any explanation or just my imagination?

Thanks!

Aug 9, 2021 at 6:25 PM Post #2 of 9
When I get that impression I swap something, or more rarely lay off listening all together for a day or two.
The other trick is to downgrade to some older headphones to re-affirm what you have. A quick A/B can do that.
Also listening fatigue and frequency chasing are a thing IMHO.

Aug 10, 2021 at 12:03 AM Post #3 of 9
I got pretty different impression when I listened the same music at different times. Sometimes, I feel the music is so great and I am very happy, using different headphones. But in some other time, I feel the music is not so great, even using the best headphone I have. I am sure I use the same setting.
Any explanation or just my imagination?

Thanks!

If human memory on average is so unreliable as to put a lot of innocent people behind bars because they kinda look like somebody then it wouldn't be too strange if your mood affects your perception of sound as well.

Fatigue etc also factors in how well you can hear, like making things less clear and yet not in the same sense as when people with high freq hearing loss complain about Sennheisers being the Taliban/ISIL Of Treble, but unclear and yet piercing. Like a car without time alignment and tweeters firing up into the windshield and cancellation vs the sub in the trunk.

And then there's how you wear the headphone. See different chassis and earpad designs like the angled mounts on some headphones or angled earpads from AKG, Audeze, and HiFiMan, plus various aftermarket pads? Positioning the driver differently relative to your ear canal can affect the sound, and these are ways to influence that at the design stage. They still don't control how you wear them, like how Grados stab your ears if worn directly over the ear canal like how they would seem ergonomically sensible but if you moved them forward a bit they tend to not stab your ears (just make some people's cheeks itch, which in my case is the real benefit of the sock mod as cotton is less irritating than rougher, more porous foam).*

*that assumes you used clean or brand new socks; otherwise, that's gross, and yes, they'll itch

Aug 11, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 9
If human memory on average is so unreliable as to put a lot of innocent people behind bars because they kinda look like somebody then it wouldn't be too strange if your mood affects your perception of sound as well.

Fatigue etc also factors in how well you can hear, like making things less clear and yet not in the same sense as when people with high freq hearing loss complain about Sennheisers being the Taliban/ISIL Of Treble, but unclear and yet piercing. Like a car without time alignment and tweeters firing up into the windshield and cancellation vs the sub in the trunk.

And then there's how you wear the headphone. See different chassis and earpad designs like the angled mounts on some headphones or angled earpads from AKG, Audeze, and HiFiMan, plus various aftermarket pads? Positioning the driver differently relative to your ear canal can affect the sound, and these are ways to influence that at the design stage. They still don't control how you wear them, like how Grados stab your ears if worn directly over the ear canal like how they would seem ergonomically sensible but if you moved them forward a bit they tend to not stab your ears (just make some people's cheeks itch, which in my case is the real benefit of the sock mod as cotton is less irritating than rougher, more porous foam).*

*that assumes you used clean or brand new socks; otherwise, that's gross, and yes, they'll itch
Thanks for the response. They explain a lot for the difference. It is interesting that there are so many influencing factors on the top of the devices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back