Impressed with Sansa Clip
Apr 14, 2008 at 7:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

vulc4n

500+ Head-Fier
I just got my Clip today. I have to say, its everything its said to be, I think.

It's small, light, and simple. To top that off it sounds great. I can't wait to try it with a decent pair of IEMs.

About the only complaints I can come up with is that the face buttons are a little loud and that the display is impossible to read in direct sunlight.

Apr 14, 2008 at 8:10 PM Post #2 of 38
I cannot imagine not getting one of these in the near future. Too inexpensive & I've heard lots of good things about their SQ! How can you go wrong?!

Apr 14, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #3 of 38
if they only had alot of memory i would go grab one but i need at least 32gb :|

Apr 14, 2008 at 8:24 PM Post #4 of 38
A few years ago my friend asked for an ipod for xmas, but instead he got a 1gig sansa. We had never heard of Sansa, so we laughed at it like it came from the dollar store, and still do to this day. I know its a quality brand but in the back of my mind I just picture my friend laughing at how ghetto it was.

Apr 14, 2008 at 8:31 PM Post #5 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrdeadfolx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A few years ago my friend asked for an ipod for xmas, but instead he got a 1gig sansa. We had never heard of Sansa, so we laughed at it like it came from the dollar store, and still do to this day. I know its a quality brand but in the back of my mind I just picture my friend laughing at how ghetto it was.

Most of their products are pretty crappy in terms of SQ, but the clip is an exception.

Way better than my 4g and 5g ipod and my h120.

Soundstage is crazy, and easily the strong point.
Amazing midrange and good bass and highs.

I don't feel like typing out a review of it, but it has little faults in the SQ department- a little thin sounding though, but only when compared to my home setup. Although I wish it put out a little more power for my bigger cans.

Apr 14, 2008 at 8:55 PM Post #6 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by dantztiludrop /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I cannot imagine not getting one of these in the near future. Too inexpensive & I've heard lots of good things about their SQ! How can you go wrong?!

Exactly! I thin everyone needs at least one of these considering they can be had for around 50.00 for 2GB. I'm using mine for in between classes and I think its going to work great.

Do you guys have any recommendations for mid to upper end IEMs to try with the Clip? I'm thinking UM2, SA6 or q-jays.

Apr 14, 2008 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 38
I can only recommend the etymotic er4p. A great choice.

For another, different sound, the Klipsch custom 3 was very nice when I heard it at a meet from my mini disc player.

Apr 14, 2008 at 9:13 PM Post #8 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can only recommend the etymotic er4p. A great choice.

For another, different sound, the Klipsch custom 3 was very nice when I heard it at a meet from my mini disc player.

I've owned the ER4p previously. I found it to be far too fiddly to use for short intervals. On top of that, I found both the foamies and the tri-flanges to be too uncomfortable for extended usage or use while laying down. Honestly, I found the Super.Fi 5 Pro to be much more comfortable with the FS mod and I had less problems with getting a consistent seal. I'm probably in the minority there, as I know a ton of people have fit issues with the SF 5 Pro, but I really quite liked them. Anyway, the only way I'd consider buying the er4p is if Etymotic changed the design to something like the UM2, SA6 or q-jays.

I've read a lot of mixed stuff about the Custom 3's...

I guess the other option is to wait it out and see how the new Sennheiser IE series is.

Apr 14, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #9 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Exactly! I thin everyone needs at least one of these considering they can be had for around 50.00 for 2GB. I'm using mine for in between classes and I think its going to work great.

Do you guys have any recommendations for mid to upper end IEMs to try with the Clip? I'm thinking UM2, SA6 or q-jays.

Welcome to sweet Sansa world!
biggrin.gif

I have q-Jays, SA6 and Er-4P. I wrote a review for those phones so search for them if you need detail on them.

I also have Sansa Clip 4GB for gym use, they ROCK!!!!! Clip sounds better than my 5.5 Gen IPOD!! Best sounding ever with SA6 and q-Jays. I use Jazz EQ, because they bring thumping Bass, sweet mid and very detailed treble. Jazz EQ seems like brings wider soundstage! I don't use any other EQ though they make sound so dull
confused.gif

I'm not an EQ person, but you should definitley try Jazz EQ setting!
wink.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #10 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyEnergizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome to sweet Sansa world!
biggrin.gif

I have q-Jays, SA6 and Er-4P. I wrote a review for those phones so search for them if you need detail on them.

I also have Sansa Clip 4GB for gym use, they ROCK!!!!! Clip sounds better than my 5.5 Gen IPOD!! Best sounding ever with SA6 and q-Jays. I use Jazz EQ, because they bring thumping Bass, sweet mid and very detailed treble. Jazz EQ seems like brings wider soundstage! I don't use any other EQ though they make sound so dull
confused.gif

wink.gif

I actually read your review earlier today, thanks for that.

I'm still quite confused because I've wanted the UM2 for years now, but the current trend seems to be that most people think the q-jays and SA6 beat them in terms of clarity. I just want a really comfortable IEM which also gives me a great bang for the buck.

Apr 14, 2008 at 10:00 PM Post #11 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Soundstage is crazy, and easily the strong point.
Amazing midrange and good bass and highs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyEnergizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif

wink.gif

Bingo, and Bingo!
smily_headphones1.gif
Its hard to deny that the clip has gotten nothing but praise for SQ at least, functionality is a little finicky and frustrating occasionally but the SQ alone makes it worth it
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 10:25 PM Post #12 of 38

With the Future Sonics Atrio M5s or M8s, you won't need an amp or EQ'ing to get clarity and an impressively rich, natural bass. The Atrio / Clip combo makes for an ultra-portable, excellent sounding, highly fun combination,

Apr 15, 2008 at 12:00 AM Post #14 of 38
Oh man, you guys are tempting me 83~~~

Still waiting for the Fuze to be released in Canada/Vancouver though, getting that over the clip for its functionality and battery life since it has been reported to have the same SQ as the clip.

Apr 15, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #15 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by vulc4n /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I actually read your review earlier today, thanks for that.

I'm still quite confused because I've wanted the UM2 for years now, but the current trend seems to be that most people think the q-jays and SA6 beat them in terms of clarity. I just want a really comfortable IEM which also gives me a great bang for the buck.

I understand that no one wants to throw out their hard-earned money for something very abstract.

First of all, I never heard of Westone series product. However, like I said in the review, what i can say is, from what I have learned, try both if you live in the US.

Order from the website that has generous satisfaction guarantee like soundearphone.com. If you are short in budget, just order one by one and return them if you don't like. It's better to order them at the same time so you can A-B them.

One listening is better than 100 readings!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back