Impressed by ADDIEMs + modded generic tips
May 8, 2010 at 11:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

kurtzi

100+ Head-Fier

I was in search of some balanced sounding and detailed IEMs at a reasonable price, so some days ago, after reading good reviews here, I decided to go for the Apple Dual Drivers. 

Out of the box I had some troubles with stock tips: I have very large ear canals and even the L size tips are too small for me. I decided to try some Sony Hybrids: things got better, but still some fit problems. Usually, with IEMs I use standard single flange tips: they are cheap, they fit perfect to my ears (L size) and the ones I use are of a harder silicon then the ones that usually comes stock with cheap IEMs. The problem is that they do not fit out of the box to ADDIEMs, due to their large inner tube. 

So, I've cutted the inner tubes of the Sony Hybrids and used them as adapters. The result is amazing to my ears: good tight bass, a detailed but still enjoyable sound, perfect comfort and very good isolation. I like these little dual drivers better than my er6i: even if they don't have the same extended trebles, they sound fuller and have more bass, but still they are well balanced overall. 
Reccomended, but be prepared to play around with the tips a bit...

Here is a pic with the modded tips:

Best Regards
K.

May 8, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #2 of 4
I think there are many out there too who decore the comply foam tips and get the plastic tubes as adapters in order to fit tips with larger inner bore
regular_smile .gif

Thanks for sharing and enjoy music!

May 8, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #3 of 4
Cool, glad you like them. I think it's a bit harder to avoid fakes than it used to be but the known good refurbs are still a great deal for these. Stock tips aren't great so you aren't missing much. If you get bored of them and want to play around some more you can try the goodvibes mod - putting clear nail polish over the rear vent and poking a smaller hole through. Tightens up the bass and helps the treble extension in the 'right' configuration, which can take a while to find. Either way, congrats. I still like mine just fine: 

May 8, 2010 at 3:02 PM Post #4 of 4
ljokerl, that's a great job you've done! And great recabling work too as I can see... That nail polish mod sounds very interesting to me. I'm really liking these Apple IEMs, they soon became my favorite portable option. I'm now listening to P. Floyd's Another Brick In The Wall pt. I and... Really, I think they sound fantastic. 

Many thanks for sharing your "custom" ADDIEMs 
dt880smile.png

Regards
K.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back