Importing music into Sonicstage
Apr 29, 2005 at 4:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jamiep

New Head-Fier
OK, so been having some Sonicstage troubles recently...what a surprise, right! But was wondering if anyone knew how i can import music from the MD player back into My Library in SS? Lost most of my music on my hard drive and so now i only have in on various minidisks, adn want to get it back onto my hard drive. I saw something that did this for iPods, think it was called "an ipod liberator" or something like that. Wanted to see if there was anything comparable for sony minidisks.

Thanks!

Apr 29, 2005 at 7:58 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamiep
ok, so a follow up would be...how would i do that? Also if i am planning on buying one of the HDx series, will i be able to record from MD to the HDx?

well you can record from HD1/3 to a portable Sony CD/MD. Not sure about other way round. But why stay with MD? Is it quality in SP mode? OK, I love the quality of my old Sharp MD player, as I recorded straight from my hi-fi. But recording in real time was a chore.

Sony HDx supports full CD quality music, i.e uncompressed. They call it PCM or something along those lines. Although it takes up valuble space. But with 18.6gb (not 20gb, due to way its calculated - like this for all HD players inc Ipod), u can afford to have full CD quality. And still have more songs than with MD.

Apr 30, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #6 of 8
I understand it is possible to transfer music from the player to SS, with the left-pointed red arrow but then the music is actually removed from the player, so this only makes sense if you get a new ATRAC-player, f.i going fro,m MD to a NW-HDx. And there seems (didn't have to try it myself heaven thanks) to be more constraints, f.i., you cannot copy that music back to your player and to another player.

Apr 30, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura
I understand it is possible to transfer music from the player to SS, with the left-pointed red arrow but then the music is actually removed from the player, so this only makes sense if you get a new ATRAC-player, f.i going fro,m MD to a NW-HDx. And there seems (didn't have to try it myself heaven thanks) to be more constraints, f.i., you cannot copy that music back to your player and to another player.

I've tested this out. The left arrow truly only represents pulling music from the player and tossing it in the garbage. It doesn't copy it back to your hard drive. Unless there's something I'm doing wrong.

Apr 30, 2005 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 8
Old MD (NetMD, MDLP, and strictly MD) can not be transferred back to your PC via SonicStage, it is indeed a one-way street. Even with the new HiMD machines, the old MD format recordings on old MD discs can not be transferred to your PC using SonicStage.

HD-line of players do not record, they are strictly downloading units. They also do not currently support any uncompressed music formats (ie, PCM). Hi-MD units do, however, and there could be some confusion there (Hi-MD units are designated by either NH or RH in their model no.)

With me so far?

The twist with the new HiMD is that only the recordings on a HiMD formatted discs can be transferred to your via SonicStage (and only with SonicStage) once! Subsequent uploadings of the same file/recording have resulted in original recording on both PC and HiMD disc deleted... However, this is only for HiMD discs, and original MD, MDLP, or NetMD can not be transferred back to PC in any way even with a HiMD recorder.

Once uploaded, I believe they have unlimited transfer rights to any of your devices in SonicStage, though I could be wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back