Importing cover.jpg into ID3 automatically
Sep 30, 2008 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Spadge

500+ Head-Fier
Hi there,

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question but none of the other forms seemed right. Please move if nessesary.

Anyway.

I have a large collection of Mp3's and most of the albums have folder.jpg or cover.jpg images to display coverart in the audio players I use...

However I have just gotten myself an iPod nano and iTunes doesn't recognise the cover.jpg or folder.jpg. Is there a program that will automatically go through my collection and automatically embed the cover.jpg into the ID3 tags of my MP3's automatically?

I know how to do this manually using iTunes and Tag&Rename but it is a slow tedious task... Surely there is an automatic way of doing it?

Thanks for any help
Paul

Oct 4, 2008 at 8:40 AM Post #3 of 11
bump

Anyone has an idea?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spadge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi there,

Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question but none of the other forms seemed right. Please move if nessesary.

Anyway.

I have a large collection of Mp3's and most of the albums have folder.jpg or cover.jpg images to display coverart in the audio players I use...

However I have just gotten myself an iPod nano and iTunes doesn't recognise the cover.jpg or folder.jpg. Is there a program that will automatically go through my collection and automatically embed the cover.jpg into the ID3 tags of my MP3's automatically?

I know how to do this manually using iTunes and Tag&Rename but it is a slow tedious task... Surely there is an automatic way of doing it?

Thanks for any help
Paul

I see you own a Squeezebox, I own one too, so I guess that is why we are in the same situation with the cover.jpg and iTunes problem
smile_phones.gif

Oct 4, 2008 at 8:43 AM Post #4 of 11
I'm also interested in a tool that will automatically add "folder.jpg" to the ID3 tag as cover art. I don't use iTunes, but the masstagger I use is pretty similar in how it adds cover art.

Oct 4, 2008 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 11
Yes there is an automatic way.

Mp3tag (free)
I'll sum up how it works. I'm assuming that you have your music sorted in a file tree structure (sorted in folder by artist/album).

File -> Add Directory... (add the top directory, so it adds all your music)
Ctrl + A (select all)
click on the Aa icon with a yellow arrow on it (mouse-over popup text: Actions (Quick))
Select action type: Import cover from file
Format string for image filename: insert the filename of your covers, be it cover.jpg or folder.jpg or whatever
Optional: check 'Delete existing cover art' (recommended, otherwise your tags might actually get two coverarts in the same songs)
OK

Wait. Wait. Wait some more. Done! All your music has tagged coverart!

Hope that helped. Mp3tag is a great program, I use it for all my tagging. Very easy and organised.

Oct 4, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #6 of 11
I haven't tried mp3tag, but Tag&Rename does this very easily. Unfortunately it isn't freeware so that may not be an ideal solution for you. T&R also handles tagging wma, ogg, and flac, so it works out well for me.

good luck
-Jeff

Oct 4, 2008 at 9:51 PM Post #7 of 11
Select all the songs, right click, and select "Get Album Artwork" in itunes. Should work for most songs except the obscure stuff that might not be in the itunes store.

Oct 5, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #8 of 11
Yes vagarach, except I don't have a credit card and thus I don't have an iTunes store account and thus I don't have access to the album art search feature. How stupid is that.

Oct 7, 2008 at 7:13 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dzjudz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes there is an automatic way.

Mp3tag (free)
I'll sum up how it works. I'm assuming that you have your music sorted in a file tree structure (sorted in folder by artist/album).

File -> Add Directory... (add the top directory, so it adds all your music)
Ctrl + A (select all)
click on the Aa icon with a yellow arrow on it (mouse-over popup text: Actions (Quick))
Select action type: Import cover from file
Format string for image filename: insert the filename of your covers, be it cover.jpg or folder.jpg or whatever
Optional: check 'Delete existing cover art' (recommended, otherwise your tags might actually get two coverarts in the same songs)
OK

Wait. Wait. Wait some more. Done! All your music has tagged coverart!

Hope that helped. Mp3tag is a great program, I use it for all my tagging. Very easy and organised.

Thanks Dzjudz, that saved me a lot of time.

Oct 7, 2008 at 2:30 PM Post #11 of 11
You're welcome guys
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back