Important question for anyone who saw disassembled 880 or 990,padding is the diff-ce?
Jun 7, 2007 at 11:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cherepashka

100+ Head-Fier
I've read that some guy disassembled his 880 and there was some kind of padding in front of the driver. So when he took that padding and placed it behind the driver he got 990 sound.... IS IT TRUE??? All the difference between 880 and 990 is some crappy padding???
Somebody who have one or both cans and can do the disassembling please make the pics and show it!!
If it's true..it will be very useful knowledge for community and for everyone who can't decide 880 or 990
eggosmile.gif

I don't want to believe it...but... i'm itching
basshead.gif

Jun 7, 2007 at 7:50 PM Post #5 of 6
The earcups have vastly different grilles with the 990 being far more open, and that affects the Q of the driver, padding or no padding.

afaik the 880 has the same black open-cell foam covering over the driver that the 770 and 990 has. This is very thin, and should be acoustically transparent.

It also has the same perforated aluminum grille with the same nonwoven fabric covering as the 770 and 990. This is not completely acoustically transparent, and Beyer put it there on purpose, and knows what they're doing.

I haven't seen the inside of a DT880, but the DT990 has a 1cm thick felt pad in the earcup, with about a 3cm hole in the center, right behind the driver. This lets the driver breathe but prevents the bass backwave from coming back through the baffle.

Anybody got internal DT880 pics?

Jun 7, 2007 at 9:02 PM Post #6 of 6
I've recently had a pair of 880s and 990s completely disassembled. The following are the differences:

On the 880s, there is a disk of felt about 1 1/2" in diameter that is glued on the aluminum grill that sits in front of the driver. The 990s don't have this.

On the back of the 880's driver is a very thin transparent covering. The 990s are completely open.

Aside from the above 2 and the earcup grills, everything else is exactly the same in regards to visual cues. Meaning who knows if the drivers are exactly the same. They look the same but...

I recently built a headphone using the drivers of a '05 DT880 and put them in an HD590 chassis. For those of you who don't know these old Senns, they are VERY open backed. The bass is huge with this set-up. Bigger than the 990s imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back