Importance of a good phono pre-amp?
Sep 28, 2010 at 1:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Lechango

New Head-Fier
Ok, so I've recently got into the vinyl scene, and with a good clean record it sounds good, but it could be better.

My question is this, is this little $40 pre-amp from guitar central really holding back my setup? I have a budget setup as it is: pl-518 with shure m97xe > cheap pre-amp > Millet SS Hybrid > Ultrasone 750 (yeah, not really a headphone for most stuff on vinyl), so I'm not really expecting much, but my uDac is starting to sound better than it should compared to my turntable.

Sep 28, 2010 at 3:15 PM Post #2 of 5
I think so.  Look into something like the Cambridge Audio 540p. There are several good phono-pre options in the 100-200 dollar range.  Try to audition one, or buy from a seller that allows 30 day trial.

Better yet, find one in the For Sale boards here at HeadFi.

I started with this phono pre, and it still sounds great.  Are there better, yes, but it fits your current system, and I think will sound a lot better than your current phono pre.

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #3 of 5
I'd normally say to look at the cartridge before the preamp, but that is a fairly "mneh" preamp.

As another (excellent) alternative look around at old recievers & integrated amps from the late 70's/early 80's. Its hard to say what to look for, but japanese stuff from that erra that was VERY expensive usually has pretty nice phono stages.

Sep 28, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #4 of 5
Alright thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking about getting a vintage receiver so I could maybe hook some speakers up in my room as well (dunno if I could get my dac and my turntable hooked up to be able to switch between my headphones and speakers or not).

Sep 28, 2010 at 6:06 PM Post #5 of 5
Use the "tape output" of the receiver to your dedicated headphone amp. 

The tape output option uses the phono stage (and source selector) by its self without the extra stuff in the rest of the pre or power sections. win!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back