Import duties
Nov 20, 2005 at 5:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

squall2072

500+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

Well as the days go on the RS-1's get closer and closer to my hands
rs1smile.gif
I was just wondering how much I will have to pay and how it all happens? Do I pay up on the door? Get given a slip? And How much I'll have to pay for the RS-1's and ppx3 SLAM (SLAM I'll get later
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Any help would be great. Thanks,

Dean

Nov 20, 2005 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 12
Ouch! I've put some money by for them... 30% of their value.
frown.gif
Do you think thats enough? Do they ask for the payment at the door? (I believe the seller sent them USPS insured) Oh how long do customs hold them for usually?

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 20, 2005 at 10:12 PM Post #4 of 12
Here the postman would ask for money at the door. The customs delay depends on if there's in invoice in the package which states the value of the goods. If yes, then a couple of days at the most. If there's nothing in the package to hint at the value I would first get a letter asking me to declare the contents and value of the shipment and then I'd receive the package a couple of days later. (In this case, if your moral standards are sufficiently low you might consider taking advantage of the fact that hardly anyone can tell if a pair of RS-1s are worth $100 or $500
wink.gif
).

Note: This is how the Danish Postal Service would do it, the Royal Mail might do it differently
smily_headphones1.gif

/U.

Nov 21, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #5 of 12
Hi Dean - Everything i've received here from the states has worked out at about 20% of the declared value - Usualy the postie leaves a card saying you need to front up at the P.O. with the correct folding before you can have your goodies!
mad.gif

Nov 21, 2005 at 6:12 PM Post #6 of 12
The 20% is approximately correct. It has nothing to do with how customs and excise "feel"! There is a limit below which duty is not paid which is higher for "gifts" (unlikely to apply to you as the item is so expensive).

Basically you will pay 17.5% VAT on the item's declared value plus a further 2% import duty plus possibly the company who are delivering the parcel might charge a small handling fee of between £4-10.

Go to the UK Customs and Excise website it is all explained there.

Oh and ParcelForce have demanded payment before delivering the item whereas FedEx delivered the item then sent a bill in the post a couple of weeks later.

Nov 21, 2005 at 8:54 PM Post #8 of 12
Thanks everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

How long do items usually take to clear? It's been nearly 2 weeks now is that normal? (I expect its either customs or royal mail holding my babies
frown.gif
)
Ouch! I've set aside 30% so that should cover it all, just incase. The ppx3 SLAM is going to be nasty on the duties...
frown.gif

Nov 22, 2005 at 2:57 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by ken36
Wow. What a taxation system.
confused.gif

Yup - we get scr*wed at every turn...
mad.gif
Playing the waiting game with my G-Lite at the moment, probably some greasy customs dude listening to it as i type
frown.gif

Nov 22, 2005 at 11:34 AM Post #10 of 12
Haha! Well the seller sent them at a lower value.. but failed to tell me. There I was waiting with 120 quid and the parcelforce bloke just handed them over!

Hahaha! Have that Mr Brown! Thanks to everyone who helped
smily_headphones1.gif
I'm just so happy they are finally here!
biggrin.gif

Nov 22, 2005 at 1:16 PM Post #11 of 12
Actually if the item comes into the UK via the post (either Royal Mail or Parcelforce) the wait for customs clearance is not long even if there is a charge to pay.

Nov 23, 2005 at 1:45 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by squall2072
Haha! Well the seller sent them at a lower value.. but failed to tell me. There I was waiting with 120 quid and the parcelforce bloke just handed them over!

Hahaha! Have that Mr Brown!

Result!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back