Import duties to the UK
Apr 17, 2004 at 9:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

asbradbury

Head-Fier
Hmm, no wonder I haven't been getting any helpful replies - my post didn't work
smily_headphones1.gif
Basically, I'm told that my Alessandro MS-1's should have been shipped on Wednesday, and will arrive in 1-2 weeks. I was wondering what import duties+taxes+other charges I may have to pay. I was also wondering when I will have to pay them? On receipt of delivery, or might I be invoiced at a later date? Have any UK head-fiers imported Alessandros, how much were you charged?

I was thinking about 17.5%VAT+2-3%duty was likely, but then there may be a charge on top of that from whoever handles delivery? My original post was a little better written and easier to read I think, but it's gone now
smily_headphones1.gif
If you need any clarification on what I'm asking just reply and ask me. Thankyou for your help.

Apr 17, 2004 at 2:03 PM Post #2 of 9
asbradbury, I'm not currently based in the UK but you normally would pay vat plus a processing fee, unless there is a specific tax levied on those particular kind of goods.
You'll have to pay it with receipt, of that I'm pretty sure
wink.gif

Apr 17, 2004 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 9
I presume an invoice is included in with the phones,if so the declared value has to be the value of the goods therefore you will pay an additional 3% or so for import tax then 17.5% VAT plau a small fee to collect this.

If there being sent USPS then they will be delivered to you via Parcelforce ( unless the package is very small and then it will be carried by the normal post).Parcelforce used to send out a letter saying that a package was waiting at the local depot but before they would deliver you had to telephone (to pay by Switch/creditcard) or send a cheque for the amount due.Now they deliver and you have to pay on delivery (cheque/cash) or they won't leave it.

If it's being sent UPS again it's cash/cheque/switch or credit card on delivery.

Apr 17, 2004 at 5:26 PM Post #7 of 9
I've had two packages delivered by Parcelforce both of which had stickers on for customs charges but they just left the packages without asking for the money
biggrin.gif

The Post Ofiice also did this recently.

Apr 17, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by guzzler
expect about £18-20 for every $100 of cost is usually a fairly rough guide in my experience, although sometimes they just slip through

g

Thanks, that sounds manageable - I mean compared to UK Grado prices, it's likely to still work out as much as or maybe a little bit more than a locally bought Grado sr-60. Thankyou for all your replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back