Import duties in Australia
Feb 13, 2011 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Audio-Omega

Headphoneus Supremus
Check out the article, they are getting watchful.  

http://www.news.com.au/business/shoppers-on-notice-over-internet-tax-dodge/story-e6frfm1i-1226005161434

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:05 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:
Retailers can get stuffed.

^100

I hate whiny retailers such as Harvey Moron. Exactly what do these oafs expect when they just line their pockets instead of passing on savings due to, among other factors, the appreciating AUD?

And in case they haven't noticed they're not competitive against Australian online stores who actually pay GST, or even any multitude of retailers with shopfronts who sell, for example, electrical and IT goods.

Feb 13, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #4 of 16
The fear mongering and threats of job loss from the likes of Gerry Harvey in response to shoppers taking their business online has been disgusting. It reeks of desperation as they see their ludicrous profit margins dwindle. God, I hate seeing that smug twat on television.

Feb 13, 2011 at 2:54 AM Post #5 of 16
Totally agree, it's a joke. They are paying less for their stock from overseas with the way our $$ is going, and do we see a drop in prices as a result? What do they expect? Everything here is overpriced.. of course people are going to look for their good elsewhere.

Feb 14, 2011 at 8:30 AM Post #6 of 16
The only time I everwas nabbed was when I bought my camera from Hong Kong.

Even with the import duty, it was still cheaper than Hardly Normal....

Feb 14, 2011 at 8:07 PM Post #7 of 16
I see retailers trying these scare tactics on Australian customers on other forums quite a lot.  There are a couple of major coffee-related forums, but Australians have their own, and it's set up to be extremely protectionist towards the sponsors.  Discussion of importing to save money is met with dire warnings about tax and duty, and comments from store owners telling people outright they refuse to service or provide parts for machines bought elsewhere.

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #8 of 16
Good news.  We are still not required to pay duties for anything under $1000.

http://www.news.com.au/money/money-matters/shoppers-can-buy-goods-worth-up-to-1000-from-overseas-gst-free/story-e6frfmd9-1226529207881

Dec 4, 2012 at 7:42 AM Post #9 of 16
I agree that everything is overpriced here and any sensible person is gonna buy from overseas.

I'm not an expert on this, but if 'everyone' buys from overseas, wouldn't that hurt the Australian economy and jobs? Even if its an Australian company with warehouses overseas?

For e.g. In America Amazon has warehouses within the US and same in South Korea. 

I'm an International Student here (no PR or citizenship) so it doesn't bother me at all but it still makes me wonder.

Dec 4, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:
I agree that everything is overpriced here and any sensible person is gonna buy from overseas.

I'm not an expert on this, but if 'everyone' buys from overseas, wouldn't that hurt the Australian economy and jobs? Even if its an Australian company with warehouses overseas?

For e.g. In America Amazon has warehouses within the US and same in South Korea. 

I'm an International Student here (no PR or citizenship) so it doesn't bother me at all but it still makes me wonder.

It all depends if you are talking short term or long term market economics, in the short term, these kinds of tactics makes the retailers take note of the situation. eg if you look at JB, some of their products are almost in line with consumer goods prices worldwide. My Xperia S i got the shock of my life when i purchased it in HK only to find out it was cheaper in Aus when it got released.
Long term yes that screws up the economy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back