Implementing Power Conditioning with Computer as Source
Sep 7, 2005 at 7:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

heymaceo

100+ Head-Fier
Hi-

I have scoured the posts on Power Conditioning to understand how best to implement my following system. Can't find an answer in the search but maybe you all could help.

I recently purchased an Oneac 1107. My system consists of Senn HD 600 hooked up to either a PPX3-6SN7 or a Pimeta (with Elpac). The source is a Dell Desktop feeding a Chaintech AV710.

I live in an old (pre WWII) apartment building in New York City. When I run my laser printer (which is plugged into the same surge protector as the Dell), the lights in the bedroom (where the system is) dim briefly. When I turn on the window mounted AC, the lights dim as well. Same goes with the windom mounted AC in the living room. I take this to mean that I have dirty power.

I want to set the Oneac up to get the most benefit. My question is what do I plug into it? Here are the following options: Dell desktop (my source), my laser printer, my Air Conditioner (which will be removed in a month or so anyway), my PPX3, my Pimeta, my LCD monitor, etc...

I know that some people think plugging in a tube amp into power conditioning flattens the sound. I'd like additional opinions on this.

Whatever doesn't get plugged into the Oneac will get plugged into the second outlet from the same pair of wall outlets. I don't have the option of reconfiguring the limited number of outlets in my rental apartment. I also realize that the truly best way to do this is to just experiment with different configuations. Ideally I plan to do that, but thought that I might save myself a little time (booting up and shutting down the computer, unplugging everything, etc.= big hassle) if people already had suggestions about what generally works and doesn't work with power conditioners.

So if anyone can recommend how best to implement the Oneac in my system, I would very much appreciate it.

One other question (so that I better understand how the Oneac works) - If I plug the air conditioner and the computer and the amp into the oneac, do I defeat any "noise removal" benefits of the oneac by putting the same noise devices "on the same side" as the oneac?

Thank you.

Sep 8, 2005 at 2:29 AM Post #2 of 6
Hi,

There are a few issues at play here.

a) noise reduction. The power conditioner can reduce noise coming into a system but the computer is a noisy device itself. It will pump noise into your soundcard , around itself, and back into the line. So I think a powerconditioner for a computer maybe limited use. There's inter component noise interaction if they are plugged into non-isolated outlets. I think a power conditoiner is best for source components that don't use switching power supplies. You are better off with a better soundcard and mods for the soundcards or using external DAC.

b) voltage fluctuation. Simple conditioners which reduce noise don't really do anything for the voltage sags you get which are evident from the lights dimming.

c) power limiting. it's possible a power conditioner can limit the power going into the amp or computer. In that case, it's better they don't use any conditioner or better yet a bigger power cord.

I'd possibly try

1) computer alone on the conditioner
2) all other electroincs besides audio stuff and computer and laser printer on it if can handle that amount. laser printers use a ton of power.
3) just the amp on it

I personally have just tried all the variations
tongue.gif
but I'm crazy
biggrin.gif

--lan

Sep 8, 2005 at 5:52 AM Post #3 of 6
I plug the computer and my amp into mine, nothing else. Sure, the computer is noisy, but I figure it can't hurt too much. If not that, then just the amp. There's no need to condition the power for the other things in your place, just use regular power strips on those.

Also check out the PC1000 by Monster Power. It's basically the HTS1000 non-MKII version in a different color. This has two banks, one for analog and one for digital, so you can keep your computer on one and the amp on the other so your computer gets some AC filtering but doesn't add noise to the circuit your amp is on. I'm actually planning on this one myself.

And you'd probably see more benefit for you money from an EMU0404 than power conditioning...WAY more benefit. The AV710 is shamed by the EMU!

--Illah

Sep 8, 2005 at 6:35 AM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah
And you'd probably see more benefit for you money from an EMU0404 than power conditioning...WAY more benefit. The AV710 is shamed by the EMU!

Seconded.
Even the optical out is easily discernable and IMO well worth the prize difference.

Sep 8, 2005 at 7:11 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kurt
Seconded.
Even the optical out is easily discernable and IMO well worth the prize difference.

wait you can discern the difference between two different optical outs??? analog is one thing but optical?

Sep 8, 2005 at 9:22 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandenigma1
wait you can discern the difference between two different optical outs??? analog is one thing but optical?

Between a AV710 and a E-MU 0404 resp. 1212m, yes. Didn’t check much else, though.
Must have something to do with better shielding of the E-MUs optical out against the PC internal power disturbance. I can not hear a difference between the two E-Mu cards.
Between the Chaintech and the E-MUs it’s not a small difference, IMO. Lifting a veil, clearer, more resolution and tighter more layered bass are bywords that come to mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back