Imperfections in some compressed music (Mp3).
Jul 9, 2008 at 10:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Amatsu

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of Equation RP-22X headphones plugged directly to an old Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 with Youpax modified drivers.

Sometimes listening to mp3 music I hear some imperfections, like someone is crumpling aluminium foil in the background, barely audible but it's there, hard to explain really. I know the problem is not in the headphones nor the files, because they sound fine with my portable MP3 player.

It's not something random either, because it always happens at the same time in the song. My guess it's that it may be a bad encoding because I have some FLAC albums and they sound just fine, but like I said I think they sound allright with the portable player (maybe I'm wrong, I barely use them).

Do you audiophiles have a name for this problem? I'll try to get a Flac file of one mp3 that have this problem and see if's still there.

By the way, I'm using Winamp with asio4all and most of the mp3 are at least 192/320.

Jul 9, 2008 at 10:16 PM Post #2 of 6
are u talking about SB Live! 5.1 the USB version???

its USB 1.1 and thats why i didnt buy it due to bandwidth issues.

Jul 9, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are u talking about SB Live! 5.1 the USB version???

its USB 1.1 and thats why i didnt buy it due to bandwidth issues.

USB1.1 has more than enough bandwidth to allow perfect playback of audio.

~Phewl.

Jul 10, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #5 of 6
compressed data...
frown.gif

ALAC is you must, otherwise Analog it.
biggrin.gif

Jul 10, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #6 of 6
Here I am with a FLAC version of the same song and problem gone, man I better start looking for a new hard disk...I better hide my wallet.

By the way, how do you analog it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back