Impending Buy - Need Some Wisdom
Jul 20, 2009 at 1:24 AM Post #17 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by AtomikPi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would go for the D2000, I think they're some of the best closed hp's in that price range and are not far off from the higher end denons. I think denon build quality is OK and you shouldn't worry about it.
Lawton audio=markl, they do the markl mods. I wouldn't worry about the cable upgrade, but if you really feel the need, save yourself some money and get the d7000 cable. I also think you shouldn't dive in blindly to the markl mod because some do not like the decreased bass response (though better controlled) and the perceived higher amount of treble (because less bass creates more perceived treble).

Also, the denons do not isolate very well so you may be limited in volume.

I think I am going to go with the D2000. The buy.com price is good and they seem like awesome headphone (for that price). I'll keep them for awhile and then see if I want to have the markl mod done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aristos_achaion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't worry too much about so-so SQ reviews, since it's hard to make a sealed phone at a reasonable price that sounds as good as an open one. Notice all three of your "can"didates get middling SQ reviews. Also, the AKG is a studio phone...those tend to be neutral, analytical, an acquired taste, which probably accounts for "meh" SQ impressions. But there's a lot to love in neutral (some would say natural) sound, even if it's boring at first blush...with that, plus comfort and build, I'd say the AKGs are the clear winners of the three.

Thanks for the advice, but I think I'm going to wait and get a pair of AKG K702s for open headphone listening when leakage is not an issue.

Jul 20, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #18 of 19
Ok, moving on to amps for TV and movie watching plus some computer music listening. In the music dept I mostly listen to some indie pop (ex. Matt & Kim) and mild electronic/hip-hop (ex. Gorillaz).

My thoughts so far fall with the: iBasso D10 Cobra and the Yulong DAH1 MARK AMP & DAC. Priced about the same and have the same inputs and the iBasso comes with an AC wall adapter.

I have read a lot here about these two amp+dacs and both seem like good options.

If there is another equal or better option I should consider please let me know.
I don't have a set price limit, but the $300ish mark seems like a good start.

Thoughts/Comments/Suggestions ???

Jul 20, 2009 at 6:53 PM Post #19 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by greenmatter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd like to know too//

Any info for greenmatter and myself?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back