Impedence Question
Apr 10, 2007 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

GAD

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm using a Headroom Micro amp (desktop module) with Micro DAC feeding my Sennheiser HD 650s.

The Micro has three gain settings; high, medium and low.

I've been using the amp on high with the HD 650s, and today started fiddling. I can drive them fine with medium, though of course the volume must be higher. Even on medium the volume at 1/2 is painful.

Is one setting "better" than the other? I swear it sounds "fuller" on high, though I've given up coffee today so the world is a little fuzzy...
blink.gif

GAD

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:54 AM Post #3 of 12
Pick the one that sounds best, which is normally high for 300 ohms. It should make a difference because the voltage swing increases allowing better detail.

Apr 10, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Pick the one that sounds best, which is normally high for 300 ohms. It should make a difference because the voltage swing increases allowing better detail.

but with a dampening factor of less than 1, the bass will be very loose!

Apr 10, 2007 at 6:56 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by florinbaiduc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How about changing the output trafo's impedance on a tube amp? Can that improve sound somehow? Myself, I would never move the vol pot over 12 o clock - it can damage my hearing

if it's already loud enough, you want the output impedance as low as possible. impedance matching by increasing output impedance will increase output, at the expense of sound quality. the bass will become less tight.

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:54 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by cotdt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but with a dampening factor of less than 1, the bass will be very loose!

Not necessarily true. Damping factor is much more critical with speakers than headphones because the drivers (cones plus voice coils) have so much more inertia.

Apr 10, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #9 of 12
Why not email the fine folks at Headroom? Seems they're always happy to help - and would have the definitive word considering they designed the amp and sell the 650.

Apr 10, 2007 at 2:05 PM Post #10 of 12
It's just an analogy... but Headroom say that for the Total Bithead, you always use the lower gain setting unless volume is insufficient.

EDIT: That's what the Headroom site says. Tyll's answer in the cited thread doesn't contradict that but suggests that for his purposes convenience may win out with Headroom amps that have 3-step gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back