Impedance answers?
Nov 25, 2005 at 12:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ZackT

500+ Head-Fier
I've bought the ER6, the E4, SuperFi Pro 5's and now the UM2's. It's been a long process.

But one thing I still don't know anything about is "impediance" - range of frequencies and whatever.

Can anyone out there explain to me what to look out for and what these terms mean. Sorry if this is a silly question but it would be really great if one of you in the know could let us know.

What are the numbers that may you go "Wow!".

ZT

Nov 25, 2005 at 2:02 AM Post #2 of 2
There aren't really any. It's very hard to quantify how good headphones are based on easily measureable and objective numbers. That's why this forum exists, really. If you could measure headphones like that, all we would need would be a big list.
smily_headphones1.gif

You can do some limited 'performance'-type numbers for headphones, principally frequency response graphs, like the ones headroom has for all headphones except IEMs, which give you an idea of the 'character' of a headphone - is it heavy or light on bass, mids and treble. Most of the other numbers are just 'operational' things, like the impedence, the sensitivity, which don't really have any relevance to how good they will sound. But you really can't just take a look at the numbers and see how good a pair of headphones is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back