Impedance adapter?
Mar 30, 2020 at 11:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

JayGold

Head-Fier
Are the little 3.5mm to 3.5mm impedance increasing dongles safe? I want to increase iem (lz a6 mini, 23 ohms or so iirc) impedance to use with creative g5 dac/amp (35 ohms minimum).
Some say these adapters are unsafe. Is this true? Or are they fine?

Mar 30, 2020 at 12:21 PM Post #2 of 10
They're safe but the increased impedance will likely change the sound of your iem.

If your iem has a flat impedance curve to it, like many single dynamic driver IEMs, it probably won't change the sound at all.

Multi balanced armature units typically have varying impedance at different frequencies , and will therefore play certain frequencies louder/softer than intended if output impedance is raised.

Mar 30, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 10
They're safe but the increased impedance will likely change the sound of your iem.

If your iem has a flat impedance curve to it, like many single dynamic driver IEMs, it probably won't change the sound at all.

Multi balanced armature units typically have varying impedance at different frequencies , and will therefore play certain frequencies louder/softer than intended if output impedance is raised.
Does this also go for an iem thats 1 dynamic 1 piezoelectric?

Mar 30, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #4 of 10
Does this also go for an iem thats 1 dynamic 1 piezoelectric?
I have to think so..... The only way to know for sure is to look at the impedance measurements for that iem across all audible frequencies, and see how wild that curve is. Or buy and try directly.

I have a 75 ohm impedance adapter that I sometimes use. On my single dynamic iem it doesn't seem to have any FR skew due to impedance change. Yet on my BA monitors can cause very weird tonality.

Mar 30, 2020 at 4:21 PM Post #5 of 10
I have to think so..... The only way to know for sure is to look at the impedance measurements for that iem across all audible frequencies, and see how wild that curve is. Or buy and try directly.

I have a 75 ohm impedance adapter that I sometimes use. On my single dynamic iem it doesn't seem to have any FR skew due to impedance change. Yet on my BA monitors can cause very weird tonality.

Ill just have to try an adapter and see what happens i guess. Thanks!

Apr 14, 2020 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 10
It is safe but like what mentioned by @buonassi it might skew the sound signature.

Apr 15, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 10
Actually, I just tried a 75 ohm adapter with my newly acquired Oriveti OH500 (1DD, 4 BA) and the FR didn't change by much at all. Perhaps a db more in the highs, a db less in the bass. I actually like the subtle increase in clarity and can use my desktop system with this somewhat sensitive monitor and it is DEAD silent - zero hiss.

Apr 15, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #8 of 10
Actually, I just tried a 75 ohm adapter with my newly acquired Oriveti OH500 (1DD, 4 BA) and the FR didn't change by much at all. Perhaps a db more in the highs, a db less in the bass. I actually like the subtle increase in clarity and can use my desktop system with this somewhat sensitive monitor and it is DEAD silent - zero hiss.
Awesome!

Apr 15, 2020 at 8:16 PM Post #9 of 10
Great! Glad that you found a solution to your problem! Happy listening!

Nov 11, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #10 of 10
Hi, Bumping a fairly older thread here.

I have an AMP of the output impedance of 20 Ohms. But my IEMs are fairly ranging from 22 Ohms to 32 Ohms. In this scenario can an Impedance Adaptor make any difference? If yes then please guide which rating I should acquire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back