Impedance adapter
Aug 20, 2010 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

DoktorSleepless

New Head-Fier
I'm planning on buying an Equation Audio RP-21 headphone set.   I'll be listening to music with it on my computer and zune, but I also need to use with my line 6 podxt.  If you don't know what a podxt is, it's guitar amplifier modeler.  You connect you guitar to the pod and connect the pod to a PA or whatever speakers you have.  It also comes with a separate headphone 1/4" jack. The manual recommends using 150-600 ohm professional studio headphones.  The RP-21 is only 32ohm though.  From I gather, this mismatch would cause background noise.  I would like to add maybe 300ohm to the headphones.  Anyone know where I can by this type of adapter?  If possible, I would love to build it myself.  Seems like fun.   I would probably need a guide if there's one floating around. 

Aug 21, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #2 of 2
I've made myself a couple impedance adapters. You'll need:
- a pair of wire cutters/stripper
- soldering iron
- some interconnect wire (three wires)
- two 300 ohm resistors (I would recommend at least 1/4 W rating; either that or get four 600 ohm with 1/8 W rating)
- the appropriate male and female connectors

All you basically do is solder the resistors in line with the left and right channel wires. When I made mine, I actually twisted pairs of resistors together in parallel (this effectively halves the resistance seen and doubles the power it can handle) which also gave me a little loop upon which to wind the wire around to make it easier to solder.

If you're using cheap components, you can make an adapter for around $10.

I don't have a standalone picture, but if you scroll down in my sale/trade thread, look for the K701, at the bottom of the picture is a 260 ohm adapter that I made.
http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/503850/fs-ft-srh-840-ath-a700-m50-ms1-others-canada

Users who are viewing this thread

Back