Impedance Adapter
Jul 8, 2009 at 5:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Scott_Tarlow

1000+ Head-Fier
Would I get better sound if I use an Impedance adapter to my lower impedance headphones like the ESW9's or IEM's if I used them with a Pico DAC/amp ?

Jul 8, 2009 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 10
I believe the general opinion is that it improves bass. I can't comment on how it would affect any of your headphones though, as I've never used one with any of those. Also depends on how much resistance is added by the adapter probably.

Jul 8, 2009 at 1:40 PM Post #4 of 10
well ^^ that depends on the IEM. some IEMs will actually become brighter with an impedance adapter. the crossovers in some multiple driver IEMs can be effected. the more effective means of adding impedance is to install a resistor BEFORE the volume pot. obviously a mod thats not for everyone
wink.gif

Jul 8, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well ^^ that depends on the IEM. some IEMs will actually become brighter with an impedance adapter. the crossovers in some multiple driver IEMs can be effected. the more effective means of adding impedance is to install a resistor BEFORE the volume pot. obviously a mod thats not for everyone
wink.gif

Hi qusp

Just a quick question because I could see you're using SE530 with an impedance adapter. Does it alter the native sound signature and it's resolution?
Because I love my E500s and I only need this adapter to avoid the channel imbalance, to avoid that I need few more turns on my attenuator which is a lot for me. So I am planning to buy an impedance adapter.

Jul 9, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by labrat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You are talking about modding an amplifier, to increase the output impedance?
Hardly relevant to the original question.
And yes, some IEM's will become brighter, the ETY4S are brighter than the ETY4P, and the difference is the added resistance of 72 Ohm before the IEM's.

please explain why it isnt relevant?? it is perfectly relevant IMO and to my ears works much better than a cable, but as I said its not for everyone. some are effected more than others. SE530 not so much (still just a touch more detailed/brighter); but someone I sold one for UE11 said it became slightly brighter and more detailed. it may not be a solution for the OP, but I thought it worth mentioning because its the only way to truly do it properly IMO all crossover circuits will be effected in a slightly different way, so the results are not always predictable

Aug 2, 2009 at 7:29 AM Post #9 of 10
Do you guys have any recommendation for a good impedance adapter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back