iMovie... gone but not forgotten :(
Dec 3, 2009 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

stewtheking

Headphoneus Supremus
So, I settled down this evening to do a light bit of video editing in iMovie, and iMovie wasn't there.

When I bought Snow Leopard, I did a fresh install, rather than an upgrade, in order to perform a clean-up of my hard drive. Alas, this of course removes all of my installed applications, including iMovie.

Short of re-installing leopard from my original disks and then upgrading to Snow Leopard (a tortuous journey I am NOT prepared to embark on) is there any sensible way to get it back?

Oh, and I know I could probably (morally guilt free) nab a dodgy copy from some notorious piratical website or other, but I am rather risk averse, and don't fancy getting a 'nod from plod'.

Dec 3, 2009 at 8:18 PM Post #2 of 10
Don't you have separate iLife discs which should have iMovie on them? If you look through your install discs (that came with the computer) and see one that says iLife why not put in your computer and see what happens.

Dec 3, 2009 at 9:07 PM Post #4 of 10
Buy iLife '09 and install...

Dec 4, 2009 at 12:01 AM Post #5 of 10
You installed SL the Windows way, now you pay the price. Since my move to Mac I've done everything I can to un-do my nasty old Windows habits.

mac ftw

Dec 4, 2009 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pincher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You installed SL the Windows way, now you pay the price. Since my move to Mac I've done everything I can to un-do my nasty old Windows habits.

mac ftw

Well, that was hardly helpful. I didn't actually immediately jump to do it 'the Windows way', and despite massively preferring the Mac way of doing things, my Mac was beginning to show the effects of having used it for a year or two, building up unnessecary files and installs, and slowing down because of it.

Re-installing SL clean DID free up some more space, and DID improve my speed, which means that it was NOT a 'nasty windows habit', but a pretty sensible thing to do, even if it did lose me my iMovie.

Dec 5, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #7 of 10
I have liked my Macs very much, but my biggest peeve with Apple is their history of removing functionality or software with updates. I vividly remember upgrading my copy of Quicktime Pro 6.5 to 7.0 and suddenly LOSING my "pro" designation. No editing, no easy encoding, nothing good about it. Apple on the phone, of course, was less than caring.

Dec 5, 2009 at 6:45 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottery /img/forum/go_quote.gif
since you already own the program it is legal for you to get a back up online even if it is from some notorious piratical website.

That's somewhat debatable, and depends on the country in which you live...and, mind you, should you upload while downloading from said piratical website, that's *definitely* not legal. :wink:

Don't know what to tell you, short of buying a new copy of iLife or learning to use Blender.
beyersmile.png

Dec 5, 2009 at 11:49 PM Post #10 of 10
I think iLife is on the second install disc that came with your mac, so put the second disc in the drive and see what comes up, it will probably let you install iLife from there.

Your situation is not an uncommon one, Apple has been putting iLife on the two install discs (instead of a separate disc) since iLife 04.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back