iMod your iPod ??
Jul 13, 2007 at 7:41 AM Post #2 of 36
I won't be doing it, for 2 reasons.

1. I use my ipod in my car in addition to my bedroom/work area/etc. The alpine adapter I use in my CRV would be rendered useless.

2. I believe it to be more economical and practical (for my mostly stationary listening needs) to simply get a dedicated DAC w/ line out. I currently use an EMU 0404 USB, but am eyeballing the PS Audio Digital Link 3.

Don't forget about battery replacement, and the fact that Apple themselves have been quoted as saying they designed the ipod to last ~4 years.

However, different strokes for different folks. I have heard (mostly) nothing but praise for the mod, but that is referring to the 4th Gen, as the new 5th Gen mod is relativley new. Their partnership with Audio Line Out looks most promising, though.

Jul 13, 2007 at 7:48 AM Post #3 of 36
Really, there's no risk at all. Vinnie's customer service is legendary, and extends essentially forever. He's a consummate professional. Should your battery eventually wear out, your screen die, your HD crash, etc. Vinnie will fix the unit for parts plus shipping. Think of the iMod not only as a sonic upgrade, but as an extended warranty.

Jul 13, 2007 at 8:22 AM Post #4 of 36
I bought the 5.5 imod 80G direct through ALO/RWA. Great service and no worries and top notch SQ. Would give it no 2nd thought. Just do it and send the Ipod.. You will not be dissapointed.

Jul 13, 2007 at 8:43 AM Post #6 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems like the perfect portable source for those who are looking for the best SQ on the go.

would it be a decent home setup too?

imod +home based amp (opera/aria/darkvoice)

Jul 13, 2007 at 1:55 PM Post #8 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by kamal007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
would it be a decent home setup too?

imod +home based amp (opera/aria/darkvoice)

Definitely. The Imod can compete with many home CD players and DACs. Sure there is a question of taste but many have found out that the Imod delivers sound quality up to par with their $1000+ cdp or DAC. I have compared mine versus my modified Squeezebox and Paradisea DAC, it is very close. I get a bit nicer/refined/defined bass with the Paradisea but mids and highs are virtually the same.

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #9 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really, there's no risk at all. Vinnie's customer service is legendary, and extends essentially forever. He's a consummate professional. Should your battery eventually wear out, your screen die, your HD crash, etc. Vinnie will fix the unit for parts plus shipping. Think of the iMod not only as a sonic upgrade, but as an extended warranty.

x2 I am geting mine iModded as we speak and I'm hoping he can keep it running until I upgrade to something drastically better.

Jul 13, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #10 of 36
Based on what i read, you get a very good source with an imod. But don't expect a miracle. You can get a way more decent source like a good CD player.
Would love to listen to the imod to check this ...

Jul 15, 2007 at 6:26 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by epaludo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Based on what i read, you get a very good source with an imod. But don't expect a miracle. You can get a way more decent source like a good CD player.
Would love to listen to the imod to check this ...

I've herad this as well, and while I've never AB'ed an iMod to a CD player, a common impression is that, for the money, very few sources can compete. CD players can theoretically compete, but those that are routinely said to best it still cost far more.

Jul 15, 2007 at 5:29 PM Post #12 of 36
I'm one of those who uses his iMod in a home setup. I had debated whether to sell it for a PC/DAC or Squeezebox/DAC alternative - but I don't want to lug my flac files around with me in a laptop. I love the sound from my iMod, especially through the WA6 w/ the metalbase GZ34. I for one am not in a hurry to buy a dedicated CDP because I love the sound I'm getting. I think all the downstream components really make a big difference (see sig) in terms of the sound you get out of your iMod.

Jul 16, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #13 of 36
I have A/B'ed the line out of my iPods to my home CD player using identical files and level matching. There was absolutely no audible difference between the two sources. The iPod sounds great stock. I don't see a need to get it modded to sound "better" than the original CD.

See ya
Steve

Jul 16, 2007 at 12:31 PM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have A/B'ed the line out of my iPods to my home CD player using identical files and level matching. There was absolutely no audible difference between the two sources. The iPod sounds great stock. I don't see a need to get it modded to sound "better" than the original CD.

See ya
Steve

It always depends on the level of your system. I don't understand your statement of sounding "better" than the original CD. It's like saying that all CD players sound the same. There is a reason why some CD players are sold in the hundreds and others are sold in the thousands!!! Just do a search on iMod and you'll find plenty of owners who have compared the iMod versus the stock iPod and they are very happy about the "improvement".

Jul 16, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #15 of 36
The reason that I don't hear a difference in sound quality between the iPod playing a level matched AIFF file and the original CD has a lot less to do with the quality of my system than it does the quality of the iPod.

Most good quality CD players DO sound about the same. They're built to the same specs and they use a lot of the same components.

I'm aware that a lot of people on this board are very happy with the "improvement" of the modifications to their iPods. Most people don't know how to do a balanced line level A/B comparison of two pieces of equipment. Or they deny that a balanced line level A/B comparison has any validity. They want time for the placebo to soak in. I think placebo runs about 70% around here. That's still pretty good odds for the internet though.

See ya
Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back