iMod, what the duece is it?
Jan 17, 2008 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

the rev

100+ Head-Fier
ok, so i'm delving into the world of audiophileniss.

more importantly, i'm on the go ALL the time.
i just bought myself a pair of ATH-SJ5's and i have an ipod nano 2gen.

i want a 30 GB ipod, but i can only find them from iMod

what exactly does redwine do to the ipods? it says something about not being
able to use the headphones with anything but their adapter or i might damage
my players? ick, someone explain to me please!

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #2 of 14
let's just say iMods make iPods sound better
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:36 AM Post #4 of 14
You can get 30Gb iPods from lots of places...have you checked the Head-Fi Component For-Sale Forum, or eBay, etc...RWA does not sell the 30GB iPod, but Vinnie will take it and convert it to an iMod if you so choose to do so...

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by LDMES /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You can get 30Gb iPods from lots of places...have you checked the Head-Fi Component For-Sale Forum, or eBay, etc...RWA does not sell the 30GB iPod, but Vinnie will take it and convert it to an iMod if you so choose to do so...

could you explain it to me more?
well i dont wanna pay 210$+ for a 30 gb
for 40$ i can get the 80gb
i read through RWA and
imm still confused, do they do anything to
the ipod? or just make a line out cable for it?

can you use the iMod with just the headphone output after it's been imodded?
i see now it's just the modding service, but once its been i modded, you can connect it to the
docks' and car audio can you?
or hook it up to an amp? im just gonna be using some ATH-SJ5's on it,
until i have enough money for some ATH-900's and an amp for home use

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #6 of 14
rev, you really can find these things out yourself quite easily if you just make the effort to learn them. between redwine's site, head-fi, and google, you are more than capable of answering everything you're curious about

Jan 18, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by the rev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
could you explain it to me more?
i read through RWA and
imm still confused, do they do anything to
the ipod? or just make a line out cable for it?

can you use the iMod with just the headphone output after it's been imodded?
i see now it's just the modding service, but once its been i modded, you can connect it to the
docks' and car audio can you?
or hook it up to an amp? im just gonna be using some ATH-SJ5's on it,
until i have enough money for some ATH-900's and an amp for home use

OK Here ya go...i think
wink.gif
:

You can use an iPod through the headphone out, though if your files are lossless you may experience hiss (I did with my FLAC files).
So option two is to listen to using a line out dock attached to the dock connector of the iPod and wou will then also need an amp.
Some people still think the sound out of the iPod can be improved and Vinnie at RWA has developped a modification to the iPod that bypasses all the internal stuff between the dac and the line out and thus creates a better sounding iPod. This process converts the iPod into the iMod. On a 4G iPod, Vinnie wires from the DAC to the HEadphone Jack turning it into a line out, He puts some Black Gate caps in the path and from then on you must use an AMP as the headphone out is now a dedicated line out and you can't cahnge the volume via the iMod, and so to adjust volume you have to use an amp. Then Vinnie in conjunction with ALO (ALOAudio.com) figured out how to make this work for the 5G/5.5G iPod. As the 5G/5.5G iPod doesn't have room for the Black Gate Caps inside the iPod case, they figured out a way to place them in the Line Out Dock (LOD) and thus the 5G/5.5G iMod was created. With this version Vinnie has left the Headphone out alone, so you can still use it if you so choose (It has not been altered so the hiss, if it was there before will still be present). Vinnie has created the direct lineout to the pins in the dock connector, but there are no caps in the path so if you plug it into any normal iPod dock accessories it'll probably fry them, as their are no caps in the way to suppress the voltage coming from the line out dock. So with this iMod you need to buy a Line Out Dock that has some Caps installed in them. Thus you use an iMod LOD cable with it and all is good. That goes to an AMP and then from there to your headphones and then you get your improved sound quality.
This can still be improved by using a VCap dock instead of the LOD with the Black Gate Caps. (Note there are people now DIY'ing there own iMod cables, in order to save money. Personally I don't have the time to do it, and imho Ken's (ALO) customer service and quality of product are great.)

Plain and simple if you're interested in bettter quality audio, first the files your playing should be higher quality encoded...lossless. Then its the headphones...then an amp and finally if you still want more then you upgrade your source component (and it doesn't have to be only an iMod/iPod, as other hold other source components in high regard) and keep on tweaking until you end up with the rig you are the happiest with...or you could just say to hell with it, get the Source Component upgraded first and do all the rest at the same time...oh your wallet will hurt...but your ears will be very happy
icon10.gif

I can say this much I have a 4G iMod with a nice amp, nice cables and good iems and I have been very happy...and now I'm upgrading to a 5.5G iMod with an ALO iMod LOD (that isn't even on Ken's site yet) and new amp to try with my iems and I'm sure I will once again be very pleased with my purchases.
etysmile.gif

The cost of my new iMod (List Prices):
iPod 5.5G 80GB...$234.35 (on ebay)...salivating over getting the new Samsung 160GB Hard Drive replacement when it comes out...or may just settle for the 120GB one (see RapidReapir.com)
iPod Case $40
iMod service $250
iMod LOD $195
Minibox E+ Amp $174
e500s...already own...priceless...

Total upgrade cost not including headphones $ 893.25...money well spent (I work hard...so may as well spend it on stuff I want...)

If you do a search on Head-Fi you can get even more info on the iMod and more. Have Fun.

Jan 18, 2008 at 7:40 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by OverlordXenu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is it? Placebo filled, double-baked goodness! Don't forget your V-Cap dock or solid gold wires, either!

Hey look, I found the pit in the can of olives!
rolleyes.gif

Jan 18, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

eek.gif
is the wrong answer for someone thinking of "delving into the world of audiophileniss"

great sounds, cost great bucks.

go the way of the imod if great sound is your goal
go the way of the ipod if sounds are your goal.

Jan 18, 2008 at 4:38 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eek.gif
is the wrong answer for someone thinking of "delving into the world of audiophileniss"

great sounds, cost great bucks.

go the way of the imod if great sound is your goal
go the way of the ipod if sounds are your goal.

well on the go sound isn't as important to me as relaxing sound, you know?
because i'm one of the sorry boys that can't carry around a portable amp
and have all the cables sticking out. i think i might just get a Line out cable,
and a nice home headphone amp when i get an ipod. maybe if i get more
into the audiophilness, then the iMod will come along!

thanks for all your help guys! to bad this forum doesn't have a rep
button like overclock.net, otherwise, reps all around!

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

well on the go sound isn't as important to me as relaxing sound, you know?
because i'm one of the sorry boys that can't carry around a portable amp
and have all the cables sticking out.

lol
smily_headphones1.gif

i dont use my imod for portable on the go use, i listen to it at home with a vcap
i have my iphone, or numerous other daps for cheap and cheerful mp3s on the go

but thats fair enough, you can always see how you go and go down that route if you find the need to expand.

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:43 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol
smily_headphones1.gif

i dont use my imod for portable on the go use, i listen to it at home with a vcap
i have my iphone, or numerous other daps for cheap and cheerful mp3s on the go

but thats fair enough, you can always see how you go and go down that route if you find the need to expand.

do you mind if I PM you small questions in the future?
no one seems to reply to my other post :[ and you're awesome with the info :]
and it looks like you're a mod too :O

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:47 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

do you mind if I PM you small questions in the future?
no one seems to reply to my other post :[ and you're awesome with the info :]
and it looks like you're a mod too :O

fire away. any time you like.

i am no mod, just a contributor

Users who are viewing this thread

Back