iMod vs. Chaintech AV710
Dec 21, 2006 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

fatdave

New Head-Fier
Hello, I'm not sure if this is a strange comparison or not but it would really give me a better idea of actually how good the iMod is. I've already read countless threads on how amazing it is and I'm sure it'll blow my sony nw-a3000 away, but by how much? The av710 is probably the best sounding source I have so that will be my reference. I am so close to getting one! Tell me to!

Thanks

Dec 25, 2006 at 6:46 AM Post #3 of 5
I recently purchased a like-new iMod through this forum, and it is amazing. As it burns in (along with my Hornet), my portable rig is beginning to sound distinctly clearer and more detailed than my home rig (oh, for shame!). Well, using my K701s as my portable 'phones is probably cheating (I accidentally left my KSC75s in my dorm room (which is locked over winter break) -- what else am I supposed to do?
biggrin.gif
), but regardless, the sound quality of an iMod blows away that of a 5G iPod (I haven't heard the 5.5G (is that what people are calling it?), but I severely doubt it can even approach the iMod).

As for your AV710, I can't say anything since I've never heard it. If you can afford the iMod (and are willing to use a headphone amp 100% of the time -- it's mandatory since Red Wine converts the headphone out to a high-quality lineout and the existing lineout to a simple charger / USB connect), I would highly recommend trying it out. If you don't feel it was worth it (after some decent burn-in time -- some people recommend upwards of two-hundred hours), you can likely sell it for a slight loss on these forums.

For maximum portability, I recommend either the Tomahawk (which I haven't heard, but other people can testify to its sound quality) if you listen mainly to IEMs or other low-impedence headphones or the Hornet (which I own and love) if you would like to have the option to use high impedence headphones (though probably not as high as the K1000
biggrin.gif
). I doubt you'll be disappointed if you do indeed purchase it!
biggrin.gif
Let us know how everything goes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back