iMod->RSA Predator vs iRiver H120->iBasso D10
Jan 14, 2010 at 2:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Axcelon

New Head-Fier
I am wondering if my current setup compares favorably (or not) to an iRiver's optical out going to an iBasso D10.

I definitely take my setup on the go, and space is at a high premium, so I use Shure SE530s.

Any thoughts on comparing those two setups for use with the SE530s?

Jan 14, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #3 of 6
It isn't really fair to compare the two as the output device is different. If another iBasso or the D10 was the output device of the iMod it would be more fair, but I would imagine the optical setup (as long as the optical setup is a good signal) to at least be less coloured. I wouldn't imagine there is much else to really decry in either.

Jan 14, 2010 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 6
Fair isn't what exactly I'm going for. SQ is king, whichever way you get there.

I've read the Predator's amp is preferable to that of the iBasso D10.

I'm also certain that my iMod gives me better SQ with the Predator than Foobar into its USB DAC.

Lastly, I've read that the optical DAC of the iBasso D10 is superior in SQ to the USB DAC of the Predator.

So, bearing all of this in mind, I am wondering if anyone out there has any direct experience with the two setups in the thread title and could make that comparison--particularly using Shure SE530s.

Jan 14, 2010 at 3:21 AM Post #5 of 6
I hope to have an iPod-based rig in place within the next month which will eclipse both of the configurations you describe, but it will be 'transportable' at best, and will cost more than either of the above. As you said, 'SQ is king, whichever way you get there'.

Jan 14, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #6 of 6
I have heard that some people prefer the D10 amp over the Predator when it has a topflight kit.

I would have to imagine the D10 DAC is more articulate, but I have no experience with either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back