Imod Question
Jun 12, 2007 at 1:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Giudecca

Head-Fier
It seems that I have a crap source currently and would eventually like to bring the quality up to a acceptable level. If I was to have an Imod, would there be a need for a DAC (Micro DAC)?? Or would I be better off spending the extra monies on a DAC rather than going with the Imod? I would be running Apple Lossless >Imod or Ipod+Micro DAC > Micro Amp or Hornet > SE310/DT770.

Any suggestions?

Jun 12, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #2 of 4
An iPod (and iMod) contains an internal DAC. As to whether you would be better off going DAC or iMod, that depends on the DAC. You can spend a lot of time on this forum reviewing the merits of various DACs, as well as head-fiers impressions of the iMod. Have fun with your research.

Jun 12, 2007 at 4:15 AM Post #3 of 4
Ipod only gives you analog output, so you can not use a DAC (digital to analog converter), since you do not have a digital signal to begin with. It seems like everyone on the forum, who owns or owned an imod, vouches for the sound quality. You can check a lot of threads using the search function.

Jun 12, 2007 at 10:42 AM Post #4 of 4
You do have a macbook pro with a digital out that could plug straight into the microdac. I don't know about the imod v dac (would love to hear some comments) but I have both a microamp and hornet (which seems to be a comparison you're interested in) and can recommend the hornet for build size and portability over the microamp. The microamp is a nice bedside amp for me but it's not really light enough to carry around with me - even around my flat.

Keen to hear dac v imod comments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back