iMod question - cost/benefit
Jun 22, 2007 at 7:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MetalManCPA

500+ Head-Fier
Based on my spending habits, I would say I am always looking to improve the sound of my portable rig.

Irregardless of my own personal financial situation and forgettingb about my happiness with my current setup, give me your thoughts.

I'm curious about the cost/benefit of an iMod. Basically, it would do two things to my iPod (5G). It would double the price of the iPod and void the warranty. So if I say I am "happy" with the sound of my iPod/MiniBox-E/Atrio M5's, will the betterment of sound of an iMod outweigh the economic fact of doubling the iPod price and voiding the warranty? To me, an iMod would give my iPod only one shot to break and then all that money would be down the tubes.

Jun 22, 2007 at 7:47 PM Post #2 of 7
Your warranty with Apple might be voided but Vinnie's warranty is better than Apple's, IMO, and it's for the life of the unit. Part of your cost is for Vinnie's great service during and after the sale.

As for the cost, that's something you have to decide for yourself. It was worth it to me to buy one of the last 4th gen iMods, and I'm even happier seeing how the 5th gen mods are being done and what they cost. Initial reports have the 5th gen sounding better than the 4th gen, so if you want the ultimate sound quality out of a portable unit, the iMod is it.

Jun 22, 2007 at 7:48 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by MetalManCPA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
will the betterment of sound of an iMod outweigh the economic fact of doubling the iPod price and voiding the warranty? To me, an iMod would give my iPod only one shot to break and then all that money would be down the tubes.

Ok, unless you cause it physical damage. Whats the most likely things to go wrong?
Probably the battery, or the hard drive. If either go wrong. Then all you have to do is purchase a new battery/hdd, and Vinnie will fit them for you for free.

Jun 23, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 7
you don't really have to worry about the imod because you can always sell it here on head-fi. so your money doesn't necessarily go down the drain.

in terms of sq, i don't think anybody can comment whether it will double just because you spent double the amount. the imod to me was worth the price. so either try to find someone that has one in MA or just spend the money and see for yourself. the only thing without a resale value are custom IEM's, besides that, everything else is resaleable on head-fi.

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:03 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by aluren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you don't really have to worry about the imod because you can always sell it here on head-fi. so your money doesn't necessarily go down the drain.

Well, that won't necessarily be true for all eternity. For all you know there might be a giant-killer DAP out before Christmas and your iMods won't be so hot in that eventuality.
frown.gif

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dept_of_Alchemy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, that won't necessarily be true for all eternity. For all you know there might be a giant-killer DAP out before Christmas and your iMods won't be so hot in that eventuality.
frown.gif

lol... but that doesn't mean your imod is worthless... you just sell it for less... just like with the new 5.5g imod, i've seen a few 4g imods for sale recently and all of them have been sold... you're just not gonna recoupe your cost though...

Jun 23, 2007 at 1:15 AM Post #7 of 7
I go by the saying: The ends justify the means.
wink.gif

That should be the Head-Fi motto for buying!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back