Feb 15, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #76 of 96
Could you explain Manaox2 ?
What are the main differences ?

Feb 15, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #77 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rico67 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you explain Manaox2 ?
What are the main differences ?

Its an entirely different Digital-to-Analog converter chip inside the classic compared to the 4th and 5th generation iPods. This chip is what converts the file to analog (listenable) music. It does the main portion of determining what quality the player is capable of.

Feb 15, 2008 at 8:42 PM Post #78 of 96
My understanding of the difference between the Classic and the 4th or 5th generation iPod is that the new chip on the Classic combines both the amplifier section and DAC on the same chip and the 4th and 5th generation iPod have separate chips allowing RWA to bypass the headphone amp section on the 4th and 5th gen. iPod. This is not possible on the Classic because they are on the same chip.

Feb 15, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #79 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've done extensive ABX'ing. In my opinion though, something like the foobar ABX isn't very accurate for ABX. I need to listen to entire albums to truly appreciate the subtle differences between two sources.

If you think that's head-fi, you're mistaken. Personally, the iMod isn't exactly overrated in the community, since it is very worthy of being an "audiophile" source, but the small fanboys who claim that there is no contest for the iMod, is overrating the iMod.

foobar abx doesn't stop you from listening to full albums to abx. This is head-fi. You can make an unsubstantiated claim and it be law; Case and point cable forum. There is not a single instance of an abx, rmaa, or any type of quantitative analysis to go along with all the qualitative bs.

Feb 15, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #80 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems there is little doubt to most audio professionals that changing capacitors can greatly affect the sound.

Do you have any links to articles on this topic? I'll look harder on my own once I get home but thought I'd see if you had any on hand. I'm really wondering how much a capacitor can change the sound.

Feb 15, 2008 at 10:09 PM Post #81 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
foobar abx doesn't stop you from listening to full albums to abx. This is head-fi. You can make an unsubstantiated claim and it be law; Case and point cable forum. There is not a single instance of an abx, rmaa, or any type of quantitative analysis to go along with all the qualitative bs.

Uhh... yeah that's what I was saying...

Have you listened to an iMod yourself? It's clear you don't need any of the RMAA / ABX / DBT to measure its superior quality, which in my opinion normal listening sessions are more accurate for extracting this qualitative data.

It becomes bs as soon as somebody starts whipping out charts, but never even touched the device in question.

Feb 15, 2008 at 10:40 PM Post #82 of 96
I'll be getting an iMod + Sonicap dock soon, and will compare it to my neighbour's Kenwood player.

Feb 16, 2008 at 3:02 AM Post #83 of 96
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpeezy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have any links to articles on this topic? I'll look harder on my own once I get home but thought I'd see if you had any on hand. I'm really wondering how much a capacitor can change the sound.

I notice that most amps specify which capacitors they use and what amp makers offer upgrades almost certainly recommend better capacitors. From my knowledge, it is a very important component in how the signal is maintained and transferred properly.

References/Capacitor - E-Music DIY

Hi-fi nirvana under $1,000? - Gary Krakow - MSNBC.com
Gary Krakow mentions the secret ingredient is Auricaps.

Dec 10, 2011 at 3:36 PM Post #84 of 96
Hey I'd just like to bump this up to see if anyone still thinks the imod is worth it. I know this is very subjective but I'd like to see if anyone shares my view or has gone through a similar experience. I recently sold my DIYMod and got a 5th generation iPod classic (which I got for 5x less the price I paid for the DIYMod). I sold it because I felt it was just too expensive to keep and the LODs are too expensive to replace (I'm not a diyer). Meanwhile it's so easy and cheap to replace a fiio l9 which is hooked up to my ttvj slim. So far I don't have that much experience with this new rig but I do find the differences too subtle to justify the cost. If I had extra cash to splurge maybe I'd feel differently. I know for a fact that if the mod and LODs were priced more reasonably I'd consider getting it done by Vinnie himself. Does anyone share this pov and think its more worthwhile to use that extra money to upgrade cans?

Dec 10, 2011 at 4:38 PM Post #85 of 96

Quote:
Hey I'd just like to bump this up to see if anyone still thinks the imod is worth it. I know this is very subjective but I'd like to see if anyone shares my view or has gone through a similar experience. I recently sold my DIYMod and got a 5th generation iPod classic (which I got for 5x less the price I paid for the DIYMod). I sold it because I felt it was just too expensive to keep and the LODs are too expensive to replace (I'm not a diyer). Meanwhile it's so easy and cheap to replace a fiio l9 which is hooked up to my ttvj slim. So far I don't have that much experience with this new rig but I do find the differences too subtle to justify the cost. If I had extra cash to splurge maybe I'd feel differently. I know for a fact that if the mod and LODs were priced more reasonably I'd consider getting it done by Vinnie himself. Does anyone share this pov and think its more worthwhile to use that extra money to upgrade cans?

Yes. Always.

Dec 13, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #88 of 96

Quote:
Yes. Always.

I agree, you can have the best set-up in the world, but if the drivers are not up to par its pretty much useless. But a decent set-up with really good cans will make a bigger difference, at least in my opinion. I had, and still have a chance to do an iMod with my 5.5g iPod, but I opted for Cowon + good headphones. Simple, awesome sounding and extremely portable.

I remember listening to your iMod --> RSA P-51 --> HD25-1 II and thinking that it wasn't that much better than out of my J3. Definitely not worth over twice the price. Was it better? Yeah, marginally, but I wouldn't be able to justify how much that set-up cost.

Dec 13, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #89 of 96
Also, now the are several diy guys that one can send the ipod 5g to, and they will do the mod. I am considering this option, it costs far less than sending it to rwa. Maybe the main price difference is the lod, I am considering the ebay store Audiominor, their price for the diy imod + lod is $170. 

Dec 13, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #90 of 96

Quote:
Yes. Always.

Glad to see that and thanks for the response.

Quote:
I agree, you can have the best set-up in the world, but if the drivers are not up to par its pretty much useless. But a decent set-up with really good cans will make a bigger difference, at least in my opinion. I had, and still have a chance to do an iMod with my 5.5g iPod, but I opted for Cowon + good headphones. Simple, awesome sounding and extremely portable.

I remember listening to your iMod --> RSA P-51 --> HD25-1 II and thinking that it wasn't that much better than out of my J3. Definitely not worth over twice the price. Was it better? Yeah, marginally, but I wouldn't be able to justify how much that set-up cost.

I'm not really sure what that's in reference to. Are you referring to my HD-25s specifically or are you just making a general statement? 

As for the rest, I think it's hard to say when you're only A-Bing for a few minutes. Another thing is that Cowons are most useful for their EQ, which I never did with my DIYMod, and DIYMods will appeal to those who like using the iPod interface along with iTunes. That said, it also takes time to listen to both sources to really come up with a sound (no pun intended) consensus on how the two compare. But I agree, for me the cost/risk of damage to LOD was what made me sell it. By the way, the DIYMod + my TTVJ Slim sounded pretty sublime. Better to my ears than with the P-51.  

Quote:
Also, now the are several diy guys that one can send the ipod 5g to, and they will do the mod. I am considering this option, it costs far less than sending it to rwa. Maybe the main price difference is the lod, I am considering the ebay store Audiominor, their price for the diy imod + lod is $170. 

That is great to hear. I may take that up in the future, since I really did love my DIYMod. Just thought the few people selling iMods and LODS were ripping people off in today's market and didn't know of anyone who would be more reasonable + trustworthy with their LOD/iMod services. Good stuff and thanks for sharing. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back