iMod...Overkill?
Jul 10, 2008 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

deadfolk

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

Just looking for some advice.

I have recenty gotten a pair of Shure SE530s, which I am using with my Cowon D2. I have a Pico amp on pre-order.

My question is this: is it worth sending my old iPod 4g off to become an iMod, replacing the D2, or with my current setup will it not be a significant upgrade?

I am about to get a mortgage, so this is my last opportunity to splash out. Is it worth it?

Any opinions very gratefully received.

Jul 10, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #2 of 12
IMO, it's definitely overkill. Your D2 will pair nicely with the Pico. Just make sure you turn off all JetEffects, keep the EQ at Normal, and put the volume at 34 (very specific, I know), and this will very closely mimic a line-out.

Jul 10, 2008 at 4:52 PM Post #4 of 12
Yes, like robo said, keep the d2. It is a far better player feature-wise too, and fully flash based and sd support means its easy to carry all your music and the battery will last for days at ~52hrs.

The imod may not be a gimick, but the D2 is ample, and a far better player IMO than even the 6g etc.

Jul 10, 2008 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 12
Question:

Is the Pico on order the Amp standalone version or the DAC/Amp combination?

Jul 10, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

I call gimmick infringement on your name!

Hehe...I thought the same thing when I saw yours!

Quote:

It's the combo.

Jul 10, 2008 at 5:24 PM Post #7 of 12
I would recommend sticking to your D2 if you wanna save your cash.

However, since its the combo, consider the Nokia N810 + Battery upgrade.

Jul 10, 2008 at 5:40 PM Post #8 of 12
Yeah, killer setup! Wi-fi tablet with USB and SD card slots, with amp for home d2 use etc and dac for N810 and laptop/pc use...

I would love that...Browsing in bed with a Pico and my livewires and my D2's SD's (replaced with 16gb x2 + 1x 8gb) and browsing in my tutor room before school (after taking a laptop in and hacking the business departments wi-fi)

Canola for the N810 is meant to be pretty good too.

Matt

Jul 10, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephyron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Question:

i think thats an irrelevant question for OP's case.
anyway, i agree with what robojack said.

Jul 10, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #10 of 12
Not really, since he could use the money set aside for the iMod to fund something that can utilise the on-board DAC of the Pico, as suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back