iMod or Walkman?
Oct 11, 2009 at 11:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

stang

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey all
smile.gif
. I am looking for a new portable player such as an iPod or a Walkman. I have seen the Walkman S-738F for like 1/5th of the price as the Walkman X and was wondering, is the Walkman X REALLY worth that much extra? Is the iMod with iPod 4th gen considerably better than the Walkman X? I have seen the Walkman X 16GB for about $380aud with shipping. The iMod and 4th Gen 20GB iPod roughly $450aud with shipping.

I am looking for very good audio quality for a portable player. I will be using them with my now-shipped Westone UM3X unamped (I don't want an amp, hence a good quality player). I will be using lossless audio files for the best sound I can get. I don't need the touchscreen, web browsing etc. All I want is great SQ. Thanks
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 11, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 14
Here's some quick diyMod/X impressions.

The diyMod (coupled with the Pico amp and 47 uf Black Gate caps) is considerably more detailed than the X at the expense of less bass. Overall, the combo is highly resolving. The X Walkman however, is smoother and exudes a fuller signature due to a more distinct low end. Grain from records is also more evident with the more resolving Pico/diyMod combination.

With the AD900s, I much prefer the X's presentation. However, my phones are considered treble-centric to some. With the X, it sounds just right to my ears. Since the diyMod is considerably more resolving, it may accentuate the inherent characteristics of my phones more so than the X1061. I'm guessing that diyMod-UM3x combination will probably fare better with the rather treble-centric Ipod than the AD900s. But this is just conjecture.

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #4 of 14
Well from my understanding, the 4th gen you don't need an amp. The 5th gen works only with the cable connecting to an amp. Am I correct lol? Oh and I have the ATH-AD700, Grado SR-225 and Westone UM3X arriving soon, cant wait!

Oh, my original post is really if the iMod was significantly better anyway, so that I would purchase a portable amp, but I would rather not get one if it's not worth a lot better.

Oct 11, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well from my understanding, the 4th gen you don't need an amp. The 5th gen works only with the cable connecting to an amp. Am I correct lol? Oh and I have the ATH-AD700, Grado SR-225 and Westone UM3X arriving soon, cant wait!

The 4th gen iMod doesn't need an amp but there is no point in using it if you aren't going to use an amp. If you really want to use it without an amp, you will need an external volume control.

Oct 12, 2009 at 2:17 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Oh, my original post is really if the iMod was significantly better anyway, so that I would purchase a portable amp, but I would rather not get one if it's not worth a lot better.

I think it's very clearly stated by Winnie(Redwine iMod) "all iMod need AMPs help" and the clear difference for 4th gen iMod is it need mini to mini cable to connect external AMPs through HP jack(true line out) if IEMs connect directely into HP jack then IEMs can get dammaged. Also with 5th gen iMod you must need external AMPs with ALO iMod cable if try to connect IEMs through mini dock then it will dammage the IEMs too but 5th gen iMod HP jack is working normaly like any other ipod HP jack. BTW X series walkman is better because it's very detailed and it's pair good with UM3x. So between X series walkman and iMod no choice if you don't want to use AMPs.

Oct 12, 2009 at 6:10 AM Post #8 of 14
Ok thanks for answers. Now to find a Walkman X 16GB (can't afford 32GB) for under $350aud. one went for $270aud with shipping but I ran out of cash.

Oct 12, 2009 at 6:36 AM Post #9 of 14
Walkman. Get the A.... or the S... spend the rest of the cash on travels!

Oct 18, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #10 of 14
I take it back. Changed the LOD cable on my diYmod and the bass is now present. The diyMod (coupled with the Pico amp) is the best sounding MP3 player I've encountered.

There's simply more details oozing from the combination. Highs and lows are more extended. Vocals are brought more forward (compared to the X Walkman.)

If you uphold portability above all else, then I recommend the X Walkman. I find that amping it does little in improving the sound quality. Best used unamped in my opinion.

If you want the ULTIMATE however, then I highly recommend an Imod/diymodded 5G Ipod coupled with a capable portable amp. Believe me, it's freakin worth it.

Oct 18, 2009 at 4:43 AM Post #11 of 14
I have the NWZ-S738F, the X1060 and the current 160GB Classic. Total RRP would be somewhere in the order of AUD $1300, but I'm hazy on the price of the S - from memory, it was around the $280 mark (its only 8GB, and obsolete now - shopbot still lists it for $214, so I guess stocks are still out there). It was a toe in the water to see if the hype was justified, and it was - I was so keen I went out and bought the 32GB X within a couple of months. I still use the S at work, but it will probably end up with my GF.

The S is 85-90% of the X in audio terms, but was nowhere near that in price. The amp in the X is the best thing I've ever experienced in a DAP, and was a major selling point for me, but its difficult to recommend it over the S on this alone. Vids wont go far on a 16GB player, so the brilliant screen on the X is a waste for most. I dont know anything about the iMod, but it sounds like an interesting option.

Oct 30, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the NWZ-S738F, the X1060 and the current 160GB Classic. Total RRP would be somewhere in the order of AUD $1300, but I'm hazy on the price of the S - from memory, it was around the $280 mark (its only 8GB, and obsolete now - shopbot still lists it for $214, so I guess stocks are still out there). It was a toe in the water to see if the hype was justified, and it was - I was so keen I went out and bought the 32GB X within a couple of months. I still use the S at work, but it will probably end up with my GF.

The S is 85-90% of the X in audio terms, but was nowhere near that in price. The amp in the X is the best thing I've ever experienced in a DAP, and was a major selling point for me, but its difficult to recommend it over the S on this alone. Vids wont go far on a 16GB player, so the brilliant screen on the X is a waste for most. I dont know anything about the iMod, but it sounds like an interesting option.

In what ways does the X sound better than the 160gb classic through the HP out?

Oct 30, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #13 of 14
Name a facet of the musical spectrum - bass,mids,treble,soundstage,whatever - and the X sounds better. Its almost as though Apple expect Classic buyers who want more to go out and buy something like the iBasso D10 or the Wadia/Onkyo transports. It would be interesting to hearthe end result of what Vinnie has done with the iMod, and you have to wonder how much better Apple could have made the Classic if they had been prepared to put that level of engineering into it from the word go - beancounters inevitably win over the engineers who want to go the extra mile.

Oct 30, 2009 at 7:38 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by dissembled /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I take it back. Changed the LOD cable on my diYmod and the bass is now present. The diyMod (coupled with the Pico amp) is the best sounding MP3 player I've encountered.

There's simply more details oozing from the combination. Highs and lows are more extended. Vocals are brought more forward (compared to the X Walkman.)

If you uphold portability above all else, then I recommend the X Walkman. I find that amping it does little in improving the sound quality. Best used unamped in my opinion.

If you want the ULTIMATE however, then I highly recommend an Imod/diymodded 5G Ipod coupled with a capable portable amp. Believe me, it's freakin worth it.

I have to say that the problem with the iPod exactly that it is too forward sounding, it doesn't have a good sound stage! Vocals are not supposed to be forward sounding. They are in the back! However I start to see why many people would choose an iPod over a Walkman. A Walkman is way more musical in my opinion, but an iPod will blow out your ear drums much more effectively. No offence at all, we are just different, that's all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back