iMod or Cowon Q5W?
Dec 19, 2007 at 7:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

DLRStudio

New Head-Fier
I have a 30g 5.5 iPod. I'm trying to decide whether to send it out to be transformed into an imod, or to go with the Cowon Q5W.
Does anyone mod their Q5W? Is the sq of the imod better than the cowon?

I'm also trying to decide which headphones to go with. I'm currently using Shures (I think they're E4Cs).

Any opinions?

Dec 19, 2007 at 8:56 PM Post #2 of 13
I would say get it iModded from what I've read so far on these pages. The advantage of a 5/5.5G imod is that you still get to keep the headphone out if you don't want to amp. But keep in mind you will need an imod cable.

Dec 19, 2007 at 10:42 PM Post #3 of 13
Even if the sound quality was better on the Cowon Q5W it still wouldn't make much sense getting one as it has poor battery life and it is very large and not exactly the best thing to be carrying around. Although i have seen pretty much every review (including the ones slating it) say that the Q5W's sound and video quality is excellent you would be better off with an iMod for portable use if you are after a good portable music player. I have not seen any impressions on this board as far as the Q5W is concerned but hopefully a few will start popping up. I'll have mine next week so i'll make a quick thread to let people know how it holds up
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 19, 2007 at 11:47 PM Post #6 of 13
you shouldnt worry about battery life, the imod is also based on based on gen 3 to 5 ipods, which werent the most battery efficient daps on the market, add the mod, and getting past 10 hours battery life would be funny,

the thing is that finding a GOOD dac that works under windows mobile and that dosnt eat batteries like theres no tommorow might be a problem, also the Q5W is allready quite a bulky package, add the DAC and the amp, and you might allready a stuffy package,

i cant belive im recommending a apple based product, but for pure sound quality and nothing else, the imod is "better"

the Q5W is basicly a PDA with amazing multimedia abilities and a 40-60gb drive,

Dec 21, 2007 at 7:19 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowon_1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anybody here tried amping the line out on the Cowon Q5?
How does it sound?

I have not, but I did with the A2.
Amping it made the sound worse, period. Maybe that has to do with the fact that the A2 line out is not a true line out, I don't know?

If Cowon did not make a significant change on the A3 and Q5, I have no reason to believe that this has changed.

Dec 21, 2007 at 12:41 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by dr.morton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have not, but I did with the A2.
Amping it made the sound worse, period. Maybe that has to do with the fact that the A2 line out is not a true line out, I don't know?

If Cowon did not make a significant change on the A3 and Q5, I have no reason to believe that this has changed.

I don't believe the A2 or A3 has a SPDIF output like the Q5 has...

Has anyone tried it on the Q5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back