IMOD - Is it Worth the Money... or the Trouble?
Dec 1, 2007 at 7:42 AM Post #16 of 39
I also love my iMod, Tomahawk, IEMs for air travel and at home. The size, convenience and sound quality are very good.

I do have a permanent rig at work, but am awaiting the pico to use the PC as a good source. This is less practical when air travel is involved.

Aluren has a lot of good points which I agree with.

Of course everything has it's place and it really depends upon what is important to you at the moment. I know my preferences have changed the longer I hang out here.
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:24 AM Post #17 of 39
I should add another iMod alternative for portable use:
"Newer" vintage PCDPs like the D-465, D-777 have pretty nice headphone outs (warm, good bass, not the best treble) with lots of power; no amp needed. They have enough shock protection to be used on the go. Of course, you're limited to that one CD in the player...
tongue.gif

The last high end Sony PCDPs, the D-NE20 and D-NE920, have detailed, clean headphone outs, but they lack the lower end of the vintage models and don't have much power.

My most commonly-used uber portable setup is a Hi-MD minidisc player, the MZ-EH70 with "HD digital amp" along with Shure E500s. However, Sony's awful SonicStage software is enough reason to stay away from this option.

Now I'm way off topic.

Dec 1, 2007 at 12:09 PM Post #18 of 39
For me it was worth it, and considering the fact that in my country stock iPods cost nearly as much as a refurbished, modded iPod from RWA, this was pretty much a no brainer.

Dec 1, 2007 at 3:18 PM Post #20 of 39
All points interesting. In short, the portability is the primary driver, but for those who absolutely demand high end sonic performance, the iMod is perhaps, a reasonable alternative. That is particularly true where the alternatives are portable DVD/CD players.

If the iPod or iMod for that matter had a "digital out", now that would be a true no brainer.

Thanks to all.

Dec 1, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #21 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by BigEat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
All points interesting. In short, the portability is the primary driver, but for those who absolutely demand high end sonic performance, the iMod is perhaps, a reasonable alternative. That is particularly true where the alternatives are portable DVD/CD players.

If the iPod or iMod for that matter had a "digital out", now that would be a true no brainer.

Thanks to all.

If thats the case, an rockboxed iRiver H140 with an 80gb (you can pop an iPod drive right in) drive is your no brainer.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by only500made /img/forum/go_quote.gif
are there any other alternatives for an imod?

someone posted a link here before (a product similar to imod) from an asian website, i forgot what that is.

I'm glad you asked.

Their is an iMod version sold in Singapore called the gMod I think. Found it. It costs more but contains a LOD with it:

Gmod

Their are some DIY plans on head-fi for doing your own head-fi.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/app...04/index2.html

Dec 1, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #24 of 39
FWIW, I think the iMod is worth it under the following circumstances:
  1. You already have another DAP to listen to while your iPod is in Vinnies Hands.
  2. You either have the expendable income for it, or you happen to have the spare cash for it at the moment burning a hole in your pocket.
  3. You buy it for a good deal used as there's no waiting to ship the iPod off.

That said, I have my iMod ONLY for reference purposes when comparing IC, headphones or amps. I use my nano on a daily basis and for the most part my iMod collects dust.

I haven't heard the Kenwood line, but I would venture to say it's probably the best portable DAP out there. It beats my Nano that's for sure, but portability wise, as well as risk wise, heck no. I can go jogging, biking or whatever with a nano, and it's not cumbersome. I can choose to have an amp or not, with the iMod, I NEED to further the bulkiness and carry one, and why the heck would I use cheap buds when it's HEAVILY outclassed by the amp an iMod, so it almost forces you to bring your better set of cans. But that's just my mentality.

I'de say, if you can find one for a dece deal, snag it up, but if you're on the fence and don't really have the funds easily disposeable for it, pass and enjoy what you already have.

Dec 1, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #25 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by manaox2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad you asked.

Their is an iMod version sold in Singapore called the gMod I think. Found it. It costs more but contains a LOD with it:

Gmod

Their are some DIY plans on head-fi for doing your own head-fi.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f6/app...04/index2.html

Intresting...actually, when you convert from SGD to USD, it comes out to $259 before shipping. Which, since it includes a cable, is actually CHEAPER than the iMod. Biggest concern, is sending your stuff AND money overseas, that kinda sketches me out. Cool alternative though, and pretty cables.

ALso, check out that AMB....I wonder how that works. Sounds like all it does is color the crap outta the line out (what else can it do to it? Condition the signal?) I wonder if that's meant to be an alternative to the mod, or if it's meant to be in addition to, or otherwise?

Dec 1, 2007 at 7:01 PM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by oicdn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ALso, check out that AMB....I wonder how that works. Sounds like all it does is color the crap outta the line out (what else can it do to it? Condition the signal?) I wonder if that's meant to be an alternative to the mod, or if it's meant to be in addition to, or otherwise?

Weird little thing, kind of like an odd preamp. Capacitors? Sounds like the vCap dock a bit doesn't it? but it seems like it was made for regular iPods. I have no clue, sorry.
frown.gif

Dec 1, 2007 at 8:27 PM Post #27 of 39
I love my imod. I like it even more with the portable vcap attached. With my custom 2x-s' it sounds amazing! It is a large rig, but not too bad while I sit on the train commuting to work. I also have a pico on order to use with my macbook pro at work.

The 5.5g imod is nice too because if you don't want to carry the amp all the time, the headphone out still works. Sometimes I don't mind giving up some sound quality for the convenience of slipping my ipod into my pocket!

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:22 PM Post #28 of 39
If you want to really get technically, "worth it" is up to you to decide because "worth it" depends on what you value. If portable high-ish quality sound is more important to you than raw high sound quality, then get the iMod.

It will also please you to note that the Wolfson Microelectronics WM8758 CODEC (DAC and ADC in one) in the 5G/5.5G cost $3.75.

https://jefferies.bluematrix.com/docs/pdf/31086.pdf

Dec 1, 2007 at 9:54 PM Post #29 of 39
Yes! and Yes! I am not even talking about SQ!

Just consider how much apple will charge you to replace HD or put new battery. And you have to do it after two years anyway. Red Wine will do it for free! Buy parts on eBay and pay for the shipping! Just for that it worth every penny!

Another way is DIY! If you can hold the solder iron you can have your iMod for $50.

Dec 1, 2007 at 10:07 PM Post #30 of 39
Even if you don't DIY regularly, replacing your battery and hard drive is a snap thanks to places like iFixit: iPod, iBook, & PowerBook Parts and Accessories and ifixipodsfast.com. Replacement iPod batteries usually come with the tool required to open iPods, so pick one up for $12+shipping on eBay and do it yourself. If pictures won't do it for you, head to ifixipodsfast.com where you can watch videos on how to open your iPods. Not every iPod is featured in the video tutorial section, but the idea pretty much carries over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back