iMod/iPod skipping problems, need help
May 16, 2007 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

tk3

Headphoneus Supremus
Hello,

I've got a problem where my iMod skips once in awhile, I've already enquired Vinnie about this but I thought I'd try here also for more input.
Basically, while playing, the iMod sometimes pauses for a second or two before resuming playback, and additionally sometimes it will only play the first ~5 seconds of a track and then skip ahead to the following track.

Some factors:

1) Either problem can occur when hold button is on
2) Battery is charged at least 75%
3) iMod is lying still
4) Tracks are mostly ALAC, with some mp3's mixed in (haven't tested if problem is only present with either format)

I dug around a bit, and some guy here has the exact same problem, but unfortunately no solution was found there either.

Quote:

Originally Posted by guy in link
Has anyone seen or heard of this before. I dont want to have to send it back but its getting silly when Im driving along and every 30 seconds I have to hit play or I select a track i really want and it just plays 5 seconds getting em all ready to listen to it and then it skips to the next track!!!

The problems should not be with the music tracks themselves, as they can be played in full and without problems if I rewind to the position or track where it skipped.
I've tried to do a full restore through iTunes already, and reloaded my music with iTunes (was using xplay before), but the problem persists.
Any ideas on how I might fix this?

May 16, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #2 of 24
How often does this happen?

I experience this as well, but only once in awhile, not 30 seconds like another user so it never really bothered me.

May 16, 2007 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 24
same problem here... it really doesn't phase me too much, but still would like a solution. one thing for sure is that it's not due to the quality of the music file... it skips on both mp3's and apple lossless files on my imod.

May 16, 2007 at 9:41 PM Post #4 of 24
I've had the problem with the iPod (5.5G, not an iMod) pausing a second or two into a track before resuming. In my case it seems to be that it has problems with some VBR MP3's, because re-ripping the track in AAC has always solved the problem.

I can't comment on Apple lossless, as I have never used it.

Rick

May 17, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 24
My ipod skip once a while too and i don't know why?. But i definitaly want the solution and i hope some head-fier will help us.

May 17, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello,

I've got a problem where my iMod skips once in awhile, I've already enquired Vinnie about this but I thought I'd try here also for more input.
Basically, while playing, the iMod sometimes pauses for a second or two before resuming playback, and additionally sometimes it will only play the first ~5 seconds of a track and then skip ahead to the following track.

Some factors:

1) Either problem can occur when hold button is on
2) Battery is charged at least 75%
3) iMod is lying still
4) Tracks are mostly ALAC, with some mp3's mixed in (haven't tested if problem is only present with either format)

I dug around a bit, and some guy here has the exact same problem, but unfortunately no solution was found there either.

The problems should not be with the music tracks themselves, as they can be played in full and without problems if I rewind to the position or track where it skipped.
I've tried to do a full restore through iTunes already, and reloaded my music with iTunes (was using xplay before), but the problem persists.
Any ideas on how I might fix this?

Same problem here, 4G iMod. I seemed to have fixed the problem by doing a hard-reset (holding menu + select button), but I haven't listened to many cd's "in a row" as I am much more of a finicky random-song type of person. I did listen through one of Bob Dylan's entire cd's after trying this solution, and the cd that had this problem for me in the past stopped, but it wasn't an error proof test as I did have to pause it briefly to hear someone during my listening.

I'm guessing it could be a 4g firmware problem.

May 17, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #7 of 24
May 17, 2007 at 12:31 AM Post #8 of 24
I also have the same problem on my iModded 4th Gen iPod. I have been thinking about posting and have not done so. Anyways thanks to the OP now I know my unit is not unique and there are a few with the same issue. My non-iModded 2nd 4th Gen iPod does not have the same problem.
blink.gif

May 17, 2007 at 12:39 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also have the same problem on my iModded 4th Gen iPod. I have been thinking about posting and have not done so. Anyways thanks to the OP now I know my unit is not unique and there are a few with the same issue. My non-iModded 2nd 4th Gen iPod does not have the same problem.
blink.gif

Are you listening to uncompressed files on the non iMod? Theories say that it is the 32mb memory cache the iPod has that is the dominant factor here.

May 17, 2007 at 1:48 AM Post #10 of 24
I'm curious if most, if not all, of you are using Apple's firmware? It seems so since a few of you have mentioned listening to ALAC files. I have an iMod that I Rockbox'd and I don't have any of the symptoms discussed here and I only listen to FLAC files.

May 17, 2007 at 1:54 AM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious if most, if not all, of you are using Apple's firmware? It seems so since a few of you have mentioned listening to ALAC files. I have an iMod that I Rockbox'd and I don't have any of the symptoms discussed here and I only listen to FLAC files.

Very well could be. If my problems act up again, I will be sure to rockbox it and test/post again.

May 17, 2007 at 2:10 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the very reason I switched back to Rockbox and FLAC. Previously I have a few songs in ALAC skipping on me with iTunes. But RockBox/FLAC playback is flawless.

Well at least now we know there IS a solultion if all else fails. Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

May 17, 2007 at 11:17 AM Post #14 of 24
Nice to hear I'm not the only one with this problem. (in some sick, twisted way)

Quote:

Originally Posted by EFN /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is the very reason I switched back to Rockbox and FLAC. Previously I have a few songs in ALAC skipping on me with iTunes. But RockBox/FLAC playback is flawless.

Did you try ALAC on Rockbox also?
And, how bad do you perceive the reported battery-loss from installing Rockbox on iPods to be, could you give me some numbers?
IIRC those battery problems were from 2006 or earlier, so I thought they might have found a fix for it by now, or mitigated the problem.

May 17, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you try ALAC on Rockbox also?
And, how bad do you perceive the reported battery-loss from installing Rockbox on iPods to be, could you give me some numbers?
IIRC those battery problems were from 2006 or earlier, so I thought they might have found a fix for it by now, or mitigated the problem.

Rockbox won't play ALAC files. Battery life in regards to play time is still an issue. It doesn't affect me since I use my Rockbox'd iMod primarily as a home unit in a compact listening station. Others can chime in or you can check out the Rockbox site here for average run times. It has, however, become pretty stable and lock ups have become much more fewer and farther between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back