iMod improvement over Cowon D2?
Dec 4, 2008 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

32y0

100+ Head-Fier
I was wondering if an iMod + amp would be an improvement over a Cowon D2 + amp. The amp would be a DIY tube amp.

I would also like to know if there is a big difference between a 5G iMod (without v-cap dock) and a 4G iMod.

Thanks alot already.

Dec 4, 2008 at 4:49 PM Post #2 of 11
not really qualified to compare against the D2, because I havent heard it. but with my experience with the DIYMOD it scales better than any player i've ever heard. add a good amp and it sounds as good as the amp add a VCAP dock it scales even more. the sound is expansive, detailed, with great bass but at the same time has a flat enough response curve that it synergies with pretty much everything you combine it with. IMO go for the IMOD for sure and if you buy a VCAP later you'll be in portable heaven

Dec 6, 2008 at 7:48 AM Post #4 of 11
I think there are a few too many people being misled into thinking they need Vcaps when they simply need a Polypropylene cap. Vcaps are very fancy, and are one of those last 1-5% items. They are not a night and day difference as a film vs. an electrolytic would be.

Dec 7, 2008 at 11:45 AM Post #6 of 11
you are totally correct in that the vcap is not necessary for great sound with the IMOD/DIYMOD. there are many cheaper large caps than the VCAP. mundorf supreme (a film cap) for example. its just that blackgates are small enough to be available in large enough values to do the job without bass rolloff; while still being able to fit. IMO just any poly cap WILL NOT do a good job in the audio path. many to be usable at all need to be bypassed with a small value film cap. many poly caps have a sluggish and slow character when used in the audio signal path and need to offset with a quicker cap to provide any detail. no you dont NEED a VCAP as I actually said above; but it sure is a wonderful upgrade.

to the OP the difference between 4th and 5th gen IMODs is that all 4G have the caps inside the ipod; blackgate caps that is; and are not able to be used with a capped dock such as the VCAP dock later on if you wish. there are some DIYMOD 4G that dont have the caps inside but any by RWA do. the 5G has the modified line out, but no caps the caps are added outside in a LOD or something like the VCAP dock. that and the actual differences between 4G and 5G ipods are the only difference between the two. oh and the 4G still has a line out that is able to be used with any aftermarket docks because the caps are in the HP out rather than the line out.

Dec 7, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
oh and the 4G still has a line out that is able to be used with any aftermarket docks because the caps are in the HP out rather than the line out.

But according to RWA the audio line-out signal from the dock connector is disabled. I always thought you couldn't use a dock anymore, I'm a little confused right now
confused_face_2.gif

P.S.: I know that the HP-out will work as a line-out.

Dec 8, 2008 at 8:35 AM Post #8 of 11
oh ok I was unaware of that; seems totally unnecessary, just like the 5G HP out being broken in the 5G; totally unnecessary. Mine works perfectly; not that I ever use it. when doing the mod these days with what we know its not even required to remove the caps and inductors; just bypass them, so if needed the mod is totally reversible. So its seems a little silly to have a useless line out just because you've modded the HP out

Dec 8, 2008 at 10:24 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by #@y0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But according to RWA the audio line-out signal from the dock connector is disabled. I always thought you couldn't use a dock anymore, I'm a little confused right now
confused_face_2.gif

P.S.: I know that the HP-out will work as a line-out.

Yeah the 4Gen iMod was done differently.

Just to throw in the opposite side of the spectrum, I personally found the iMod to be overrated and an insignificant difference to the iPod Classic I purchased to replace it. Like Qusp, I haven't heard the D2 so can't comment on it.

Regardless of any opinion, the only way to find out is do it yourself, which is why I bought an iMod. I found the difference my amp made much more significant than the iMod difference - but I seem to be in a very small minority on all of this.

Dec 8, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #10 of 11
the imprtant thing to remember is this, the sound will be coming from your amp...what you need to consider is this, do you want hard drive or flash...do you want touch screen or scroll wheel...flash mp3 players have some big advantages over hard driver...such as they are smaller. they dont transmit any hard driver spinning noise, they tend to load up quicker.

hard drives biggest advantage is space. but then again the D2 does have expandability, no ipod offers that yet which is really poor if you ask me.

its your choice, the imod i hear is very good but you will be amping it anyway so why bother shelling out for an imod.

Dec 8, 2008 at 3:41 PM Post #11 of 11
Well, wether I'm getting an iMod or not, I'm still going to keep my D2. I just wanted to know if its worth buying an iMod.
I think I will buy one and then going to decide if it's worth keeping it or not. But I'm not sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back