Imod: do you hear an obvious improvement?
May 31, 2007 at 1:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

drlee27

100+ Head-Fier
A simple question. For those of you who have heard an IMOD, do you hear a marked improvement in sound quality? I know the general consensus is yes you do, but I am just curious if ther are others who disagree..........

May 31, 2007 at 2:33 AM Post #3 of 10
I am one of the proud owner of 4G Imod.
I was looking for a good semi-portable player which plays lossless. I never like ipod for simple reason - they sound terrible. However, i think most people will agree that ipod is very user friendly. So i had to decide between sound quality or the other.

Then i came across imod. Thought why not give it a try since almost all feedbacks/reviews that i could find were mostly positive.

3 months now since the 1st day i received my imod. I am not gonna tell you how good it is with a full review. You can probably find lots of review here anyway.
But i can tell you you this for sure - This is probably the best $199 i've ever spent.
Imod really makes other portable players sounds like S**T. Trust me, you will not look back to other player again

Well, give it a goal. If you dont like it, you can always re-sell it here. What can be worse than losing few bucks
tongue.gif

May 31, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #4 of 10
One more thing to add, Vinnie is probably one of the best person to deal with. Excellent customer service !!! Most people will agree with this
smily_headphones1.gif

May 31, 2007 at 4:40 AM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Assorted /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree with the fact that they compete against +$1000 CD players. Keep in mind though, that I haven't a thorough listen to it. Maybe it is.

My CD player is Marantz SA14, costed 1700 USD then. Not sure how much it costs now. I tried to use SA14 and my 4G 60G IMod to feed my tube amp. The results were real close and the SA14 has better resolution, smoother highs (I must say that I am glad of this outcome). The output of both the devices were pleasing.Haven't get a SPL meter then so can't tell how accurate the impression was.

Anyway, the conclusion that IMod does make a difference seems very valid (at least to my ear). Also this question has been raised many times before in head-fi. It seems to me that no one who has actually heard a burn-in IMod thinks otherwise.

May 31, 2007 at 12:59 PM Post #7 of 10
you know, don't you, that you need an amp with the Imod??? That said, I went on ebay, picked up a 40gig 4g Ipod on the cheap, a bigass battery and shipped the whole thing to Vinnie. Idon't care about video so I saved bucks on the non-video version. As others have said, it breathed new life into my listening experience and use this almost predominantly instead of my home system which is rather high-end to begin with.

May 31, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #8 of 10
The iModded iPod 4th Gen I have is fantastic! it clearly blows my other Non-iModded iPod out of the water. I certainly hope Vinnie can find a way to install one of the newer higher capacity drives (120 Gb or higher) in the 4th Gen iPod so I can send mine in.
icon10.gif

May 31, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #9 of 10
BBird is correct. There is infact a large difference, and it's definitly noticeable.

Do I think it's worth it? Yes and no. Yes being if you have lossless files, it's by far the BEST portable out there....it's rediculous. And along with lossless comes the fact that you lose space REALLY quickly. So a LARGE HD is almost a plus if you want to have any sort of variety. Unless of course, you don't mind switching tracks out like most people with portable players do anyways.

But, if you listen to MP3's, or have a laptop you bring with you for audio, it's probably not a wise investment, seeing as how you have a source you're using anyways that with a soundcard, sounds on par if not better. And if you primarily only use a portable for active activities...you will want a flash based player anyways.

But, I'll tell you this, aside from not being able to use it for active sessions, and if I didn't have my laptop, I'de WHOLE HEARTEDLY recommend it. I more or less bought one just to see what the hype was about. And it is a great PORTABLE. I just think it's a good thing to show you both sides of the fence...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back